Linked Events

• Sep 15-18 - SA - Classic Targa Adelaide: Thu, 15 Sep, 2011 - Sun, 18 Sep, 2011

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

This looks hopeful.  I like the idea of Octagon being involved.

But classics only?  I'm not sure if there is a big enough market.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/financial-problems-put-classic-adelaide-car-rally-on-hold/story-e6frea83-1225907479944

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
This looks hopeful.  I like the idea of Octagon being involved.

But classics only?  I'm not sure if there is a big enough market.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/financial-problems-put-classic-adelaide-car-rally-on-hold/story-e6frea83-1225907479944

Actually, i think if the modern stuff can get cast away, then MORE classics would run.

You should get into classic cars, they CAN be a lot of fun, and with ~zero depreciation and tax deductable maintenance if owned by a business, can make a lot more sense than buying new cars.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

You should get into classic cars, they CAN be a lot of fun, and with ~zero depreciation and tax deductable maintenance if owned by a business, can make a lot more sense than buying new cars.

Maintenance? What's that? Sounds scary.

I'd love an E-type or maybe a Dino.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Maintenance? What's that? Sounds scary.

I'd love an E-type or maybe a Dino.

Maintenance..... is that thing you do that costs a tiny fraction of the depreciation of a new car, that also enhances the bond and understanding, and even relationship you have with a car of character and soul. It can be scary, but at least it's tangible, unlike depreciation.

E type... very very pretty, but shit to drive (relatively speaking, and unless of course you modify it to a bare resemblance of originality). At very high speed they begin to lift, at low speed they wallow a bit, wire wheels are for prams and push chairs IMO, any crash will wreck it more than you ever thought.

Dino, yes absolutely. Not expensive to run, drop dead gorgeous, and supremely collectible. Will actually gain value too. Lovely to drive once sorted out, family heirloom worthy! Tough little cars too, can take a lot of hard driving, and easily repaired panel / chassis wise.

Online Horse

• Hung like Einstein

Maintenance..... is that thing you do that costs a tiny fraction of the depreciation of a new car, that also enhances the bond and understanding, and even relationship you have with a car of character and soul. It can be scary, but at least it's tangible, unlike depreciation.

E type... very very pretty, but shit to drive (relatively speaking, and unless of course you modify it to a bare resemblance of originality). At very high speed they begin to lift, at low speed they wallow a bit, wire wheels are for prams and push chairs IMO, any crash will wreck it more than you ever thought.

Dino, yes absolutely. Not expensive to run, drop dead gorgeous, and supremely collectible. Will actually gain value too. Lovely to drive once sorted out, family heirloom worthy! Tough little cars too, can take a lot of hard driving, and easily repaired panel / chassis wise.

I totally agree. :D
Why such a long face?

Offline TomE

Bought an Series 1 Coupe E-Type Coupe to do CA in 2010..... Doh
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
FWIW - I think that making it a classics only event would actually make it more spectator friendly. And if Octagon are involved, it would definitely be in the right hands.

A few years ago, as a participant in the Classic Tour, I was personally involved lending assistance when our Tour Leader in a Magna smacked into a stobie pole at the top of Montacute Road. As a result of lending assistance, my day was essentially over - it took the First Intervention Vehicle around 3 mintues to arrive then the ambos took almost 17 minutes to arrive on scene!! Very apparent that organization was pretty poor and luckily in that incident, the injuries sustained were minimal.

Hopefully Octagon WILL get the event and will do a better job from a safety point of view.
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline waz356

A few years ago, as a participant in the Classic Tour, I was personally involved lending assistance when our Tour Leader in a Magna smacked into a stobie pole at the top of Montacute Road.

What car were you in? That was the group in front of us.

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
an orange 1974 BMW 2002tii
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com