Linked Events

• Sep 15-18 - SA - Classic Targa Adelaide: Thu, 15 Sep, 2011 - Sun, 18 Sep, 2011

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
 :D
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I can't find anything on the Adelaide Now website but today's Advertiser says a Terry Little is now the main chance to bring the event back, again for classics only - he wants to make it the event for classics in the world.

I wish him well.  I don't think it is sour grapes that makes me wonder how CA can succeed as a classics-only event this time when they needed moderns to save it previously.  Time will tell.

Anyone know Terry?

Offline SpeedMaster

• Drives: Ford Sierra RS Cosworth
  • Name: Tony
I crewed on a Triumph TR8 back in '02 and it was much better event when it was run for classics only.

The Porsche museum brought five cars alone, including a Rothmans Dakar 959 complete with original gazelle damaged to the front guard and Mercedes three! And there were fantastic drivers, including Stirling Moss, Bobby Rahal, Win Percy and Eric Bana just to mention a few, and everyone was very social.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Ho hum.. good luck to the classics.. what's a good American muscle that would qualify as a classic?? It may not be fast but all that noise and torque would be a joy for the spectators :D

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I can't find anything on the Adelaide Now website but today's Advertiser says a Terry Little is now the main chance to bring the event back, again for classics only - he wants to make it the event for classics in the world.

I wish him well.  I don't think it is sour grapes that makes me wonder how CA can succeed as a classics-only event this time when they needed moderns to save it previously.  Time will tell.

Anyone know Terry?

Ha!

Terry Little is the 3rd arm of Australian GT. Yes I know him, pm if you need his number.

I'd heard he wasn't happy there as the dog has two tails "wagging" already

Offline waz356

Anyone know Terry?

Mark, the event started to go downhill in 2005. It had been over subscribed in 2004 - the year they had 14 Gullwings, Carrera GT etc. Every year after that they opened the event to newer and faster cars and the classics pulled out.

The other issue was that David Edwards only ever wanted a race and wasn't interested in the touring classes at all. Shonky deals to have Jaguar E-Types as "sponsor" cars and cheap/free entry for Ferrari eventually just pissed everyone else off.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Touring classes are a huge liability IMO.

So many people think that doing the tour is "not  like competition", but in fact when they actually do it, they don't drive it correctly.

IMO, any cars should be fully race prepped OR if you do run a tour ALL tour cars must NOT run on R spec tyres and must not have any mods that would improve performance/speed.

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
The other issue was that David Edwards only ever wanted a race and wasn't interested in the touring classes at all. Shonky deals to have Jaguar E-Types as "sponsor" cars and cheap/free entry for Ferrari eventually just pissed everyone else off.

Spot on about this - when even the classic tourers were paying initially $3k approx then up to $6k only to be bumped off by "sponsor" cars and have special stages cancelled or scrapped in favour of the "sponsor" cars when their schedule was running tight definitely left a sour taste in the mouth.

Agree that financially it may not necessarily work if it were 100% classics only - perhaps capping the no. of "modern" cars to 20% of entries might work a little better??
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline TomE

From what I know, the sponsor cars were supplied by the Jaguar Drivers Club of SA. Last year they had 3 cars (2 E-Types and a XJS). Each day they carried a corporate sponsor in the passenger seat. For any event like CA you need to look after your Corporate Sponsors. The $10k entry fee that was forsaken would have been made up ten fold by the corporate cash they help generate. PS they had to pay for all the extras including lunch each day.

Don’t know about others being bumped out of stages. Most of the Jag guys were disappointed because competition cars in front would crash out and close the special stage before they got to run it. They always ran in the Classic Tour pack.

Nissan ran some 370z , and Mitsubishi had their new lancers as "client demos" Maybe these were pushed ahead.

At the end of the day the best thing for me was the CA variety. Modern Exotics, American Muscle, Aussie V8s, Race preped 911s, Factory supported specials, VWs, E-type and  356s.  I don’t care about “classics only” or if the HK Ferrari Club fill up the spots. Once the event is lost its gone forever.
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Touring classes are a huge liability IMO.

So many people think that doing the tour is "not  like competition", but in fact when they actually do it, they don't drive it correctly.

IMO, any cars should be fully race prepped OR if you do run a tour ALL tour cars must NOT run on R spec tyres and must not have any mods that would improve performance/speed.

I think there are some classic owners who don't want to race their old girl but want to enjoy the camaraderie of the event at the speed limit. That's how the Classic Tour category was sold. Perhaps you mean the 130km/h Thoroughbred Tour type of category are a liability. Your main risk in the CT category is dying of boredom, I would have thought.

Anyway, if it classics only, they will need some kind of Touring category to make the event viable, don't you think?