Linked Events

• Classic Targa Adelaide - SA - Aug 22-26: Wed, 22 Aug, 2012 - Sun, 26 Aug, 2012

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
http://www.rallysportmag.com.au/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6351&Itemid=2

Bigger and better Targa for Adelaide in 2012       

Written by Peter Whitten      

Adelaide will again host the opening round of the 2012/13 CAMS Australian Targa Championship with new dates and an expanded program set to attract the country’s top classic cars and their drivers.

Supaloc Classic Targa Adelaide will move out of September and into August in 2012, and be run over five days - from Wednesday 22 to Sunday 26 - compared to the four-day program in 2011.

While course details are yet to be announced, event director, Mark Perry from Octagon Australia, says that it will look very different to the inaugural 2011 event that utilised many of the roads of the former Classic Adelaide event.

“In 2011 it was all about getting an event on the calendar with a short lead time,” Perry said. “However, in 2012 we have the necessary time to put a new course together, giving the event much more of its own identity and where we want to take it in the long term.

“We want to make Supaloc Classic Targa Adelaide a unique tarmac rally challenge with great competitor appeal.  Going the extra day gives the event more competitive kilometres which means more bang for your bucks for competitors.

“Running across both days of the weekend also gives the people of Adelaide and the surrounding towns far greater access to get up close to the cars and the stars.”

“The road options are immense for the event, and they take the competitors and event through a range of key tourism destinations. We’ll make the most of everything the greater Adelaide region has to offer.

“The support of the South Australian Government is vital to the development of the event and they are very much helping us to create this into a major tourism venture for the state.”

The 2012/13 CAMS Australian Targa Championship is a four event series, taking in Targa High Country in Victoria (November 8 to 11, 2012), Targa Wrest Point in Hobart (January 27 to 28, 2013), Targa Tasmania (April 16 to 21, 2013), all following after Supaloc Classic Targa Adelaide (August 22 to 26, 2012).

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
Sounds great.  :thumbsup:

Yes agreed :thumbsup:

Slight conflict with dates for me  :scratchchin:
23rd - Mothers birthday
24th - sons birthday
25th - Wifes birthday

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

23rd - Mothers birthday
24th - sons birthday
25th - Wifes birthday

I see pain in your future. :D

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.

23rd - Mothers birthday
24th - sons birthday
25th - Wifes birthday

Bad timing for next year but must be good to get so many out of the way in one week.. and make them easier to remember.

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
I hate to be a naysayer but on this occasion I wish to make two comments:

1. They've picked the coldest, wettest month of the year to hold the event, making roads slippery and spectating unappealing.

2. They would want to significantly lift their game in regards to the finale if this year's was anything to go by. The Intercontinental was a shyte location, the cars were momentarily on display as they lined up, then disappeared into the carpark. There was NO atmosphere whatsoever.

Not much they can do about number 1 at this stage, but number 2 can be fixed. If they can't get permission to have the finale in Hyde Park or Hutt Street, then I suggest something like Wayville Showgrounds. Not a patch on the other two for atmosphere, but at least the cars could be on display for everyone to see once they come off the ramp. You also have the advantage of huge halls under cover, which is a great contingency if its bucketing with rain. One of the newer halls has a long narrow gallery (about 12m wide by 60m long) with massive doors at each end, which would be an ideal spot to have the cars roll though onto the podium, after which then can drive out, under the canopy and into an adjoining hall for display.

But in reality, the best month to have it in my view would be May (weather still pretty good) and the best spot to have the finale would be Hyde Park - I loved the street party ending there for the Classic Adelaide. If any of the Targa organisers are reading this, I have a very senior contact at Unley Council who might be interested in facilitating such a finale...no promises but I could at least put you in touch to discuss.

JBO

This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Well, it sounds like it could be a really good event if they returned to the Silverstone format. What was wrong with the Hilton anyway? It had the car park right there.

Isn't the idea to have the finale in a place to encourage punters to spend at local restaurants etc?

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
Exactly why I liked the Hyde Park option mhh - pub at the end of the street, plus melt, the pot, cibo, assagio and others - get toop to sponsor and they could do a private food/drink show for drivers in the old church they now inhabit...cars, people, shops, cafe's....I reckon Hyde Park is ideal!
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
When entering these events, in the touring not the full on competition section.
Dose your insurance cover you?
Or do you take out another cover for the event?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

When entering these events, in the touring not the full on competition section.
Dose your insurance cover you?
Or do you take out another cover for the event?

My Shannons cover used to include Classic Adelaide but no longer. I'd be surprised if you can get cover for driving in any category.