Offline Dale61

Another concern is during part 3, at the 9:45 stage, it is mentioned that after the accident, the 'race' continued.  I call BS on that one.  The only remaining stage to be completed on the day was the Flying Mile, but as we had been instructed to pack up, that was it for the day.

All drivers were instructed to head for Yulara, and follow our instructions.

Offline Dale61

It's easy enough to point out suitable sections of road to have a Flying Mile, but you have to remember that at that time of year, it is the peak tourist season, with a lot of traffic on the roads.  Also, take into consideration that the road had to be closed to ALL public traffic whilst the FM was being staged.  All this did was back up traffic at the roadblocks, and thus causing more problems further down the road.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline Dale61

I'm in the process of reading the stewards report, and I feel that he is/was having a go at me.  Not once did he approach me and ask why I had us set-up like we were, so he has just made assumptions.

http://www.cannonballrun.info/library/StewardsReportMikeBell.pdf

Scroll down to page 6 - Sunday 22nd May

Offline Cannonballrun.info

• Drives: 2004 Mercedes CLK 320 Advantgard
  • Name: Russ
I'm in the process of reading the stewards report, and I feel that he is/was having a go at me.  Not once did he approach me and ask why I had us set-up like we were, so he has just made assumptions.

http://www.cannonballrun.info/library/StewardsReportMikeBell.pdf

Scroll down to page 6 - Sunday 22nd May

When you say "He is / was having a go at me" are you referring to Mike Bell?

I just dont want to make any assumptions, because what you have written could be taken two ways.

I'm always up for approaching anyone on what they believed happened.

Offline Dale61

Yes, I meant the steward. 

During the FM 'practice' at Hidden Valley on the Friday prior, the police were in attendance and giving instruction on how to use the radar gun.  We were to use the Falcon model, which allows for a wider view of the approaching vehicle, but needs to be operated at a relatively close range to be effective.

It was proposed that we give the new laser equipped radar gun a go, but this proved to be too heavy to use by just one person over any length of time, had a longer viewing range, but needed to read the number plate to be able to get an accurate read.  Even then, the trained operator had problems focussing on the 'read' zone, so there was no chance in hell that I was going to do so for a much longer period.  Besides, it was too late in the week to organise a mounting attachment to make life easier.

So, with that, I had to position myself, and my off-sider, at a position that was within the radar guns operating capabilities, ensuring that we were also safely positioned in the case of an accident.  My worst-case scenario was a vehicle motoring through at 200+kph, destroying a motor/gearbox, dumping oil over the tyres, and spearing off in to the wilderness, right where we happened to be set-up.

No point in getting upset about it now, but as I said, at no stage did anyone in authority approach us re: our location.  If he was so concerned about us, I'm sure he would have done something about it.

Offline slink

Yes, I meant the steward. 

During the FM 'practice' at Hidden Valley on the Friday prior, the police were in attendance and giving instruction on how to use the radar gun.  We were to use the Falcon model, which allows for a wider view of the approaching vehicle, but needs to be operated at a relatively close range to be effective.

It was proposed that we give the new laser equipped radar gun a go, but this proved to be too heavy to use by just one person over any length of time, had a longer viewing range, but needed to read the number plate to be able to get an accurate read.  Even then, the trained operator had problems focussing on the 'read' zone, so there was no chance in hell that I was going to do so for a much longer period.  Besides, it was too late in the week to organise a mounting attachment to make life easier.

So, with that, I had to position myself, and my off-sider, at a position that was within the radar guns operating capabilities, ensuring that we were also safely positioned in the case of an accident.  My worst-case scenario was a vehicle motoring through at 200+kph, destroying a motor/gearbox, dumping oil over the tyres, and spearing off in to the wilderness, right where we happened to be set-up.

No point in getting upset about it now, but as I said, at no stage did anyone in authority approach us re: our location.  If he was so concerned about us, I'm sure he would have done something about it.

I can back this up. I can also give further information (if the grey matter is willing)

I recall the radar issues during the hidden vally practice days.

Cam had a lot to say after the even but absolutly nothing before hand.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

What happened to the reunion idea?

Offline diabloinoz

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Diablo 6.0
mhh - you digging through old threads??

look forward to meeting you a and scud properly at the NT run ... seems that'll be our version of the reunion!