Vehicle   1998 ULTIMA SPYDER
Price   $110,000
Kilometres   7,000
Body   2 door 2 seat CONVERTIBLE
Colour   Yellow
Interior Colour   Grey / Black
Transmission   5 speed Manual
Drive type   Rear
Engine   8 cylinder Premium Unleaded Direct Injection 5.0L (5000cc)
Reg Plate   AGP-23U
Reg Expiry   JUN-2009
Road Worthy Certificate   Yes
Vehicle ID   6644928

Brief Comments   Supercar performance and the ultimate head turner

Comments
The only Ultima Spyder in Australia.

Road registered, 850 kg propelled by a 5.0L Ford SVO V8 with aluminium GT40 high-flow heads giving 230 kw (308 hp) and 400 nm (295 lb/ft).

0 - 100 km/h in 3.9 seconds with 288 km/h top speed (factory figures).

Featured in the 1999 Melbourne Motor Show and was previously owned by Dick Johnson Racing.

"The Ultima is probably the best car I've ever driven." - Dick Johnson.

Very reluctantly selling as part of my father's deceased estate.

Seller Details
Name   Murray
Suburb   CUNDLETOWN
State   New South Wales
Post Code   2430

carsales

Offline dkabab

wow.... didnt know there was such thing as a spider version.... sounds cool!

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

aaaaahhhhh, I'd always wanted to bring all the bits in to build one of these - there's an ultima GTR that comes out to some of the regular trackdays which is truly scary - so I imagine full tilt in the can-am would be brain-snappingly good.

The question is though... what's a fair price for effectively a kit car?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Effectively a kit-car, yes, but this is a tried and tested properly developed supercar - not some shit put together by some hobbykit kid in his mum's shed who wanted a Lamborghini.

Don't know how to price it though.  Perhaps look at the cost of bringing in all the bits, add on a couple hundred hours of time, then subtract a %age for it's age and usage.

Offline allanuber

Effectively a kit-car, yes, but this is a tried and tested properly developed supercar - not some shit put together by some hobbykit kid in his mum's shed who wanted a Lamborghini....

Hahahahha. Yes indeed. Agreed on that, and the idea of going 200K+ down the straight at EC in something constructed of ice cream container lids is still tempting.

If it's been pieced together at DJ racing then that's perhaps better than someone's garage.

From my chats with the factory last year, pricing for the rolling chassis, delivered to AU is about $40K (maybe a bit more with current exchange rates). Nothing to paint as the panels are all pre-finished ... so you'd need to think about labour to tighten up all the bolts, find the drivetrain and engine, get it all together and tune it etc???

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Plus compliancing/ADR etc - which what little I know of that is just occasional reading so I wouldn't be surprised at anything between $500 bucks and $20k, this car is already road legal (AFAIK).

Offline allanuber

Plus compliancing/ADR etc - which what little I know of that is just occasional reading so I wouldn't be surprised at anything between $500 bucks and $20k, this car is already road legal (AFAIK).

Good point. They're registered as and individually constructed veeehicle here in NSW I believe. Jumped through those hoops for the cobra, so budgetting say 10K for this bit of the process isn't too far off.

So call it

$40K chassis
$40K engine/gearbox/fettling
$10K rego/pain
$? - personal fiddling about time (though i'll discount this as an excuse to play cars is all good)
$10K wheels/tyres

That's $100K so far on the cost side without contingencies - probably best case to build one up yourself... so is it collectible / in demand enough to not be a victim of some pretty aggressive depreciation?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

That's $100K so far on the cost side without contingencies - probably best case to build one up yourself... so is it collectible / in demand enough to not be a victim of some pretty aggressive depreciation?

The GTR that's listed has been online for what - 2+ years?  The whole time it's been listed at $160k I think.  Don't expect to move it quickly for a price you'd be happy with I suspect.

THE ULTIMA GTR IS RENOWNED FOR BEING ONE OF THE WORLDS FASTEST FACTORY PRODUCED STREET REGISTERED CARS. WITH A CHEVY FUEL INJECTED 5.7L MOTOR COMBINED WITH A PORSCHE G50 5-SPEED BOX, LIGHT WEIGHT TUBULAR CHASSIS FRAME AND EXOTIC LOOKS ITS EASY TO SEE WHY THIS CAR IS CALLED THE ULTIMA. FOR MORE DETAILS CALL AUTOSTYLE PRESTIGE AND PERFORMANCE CARS ON (02) 9580 1447.

https://cars2.ebay.com.au/Ultima-GTR-COUPE-Red-Speed-M_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ130190482150

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Here's another one that was for sale ages ago that I noted in an email (before the advent of AE :eek: :p ) - Goober was thinking of picking one up at an online live auction - but the prices went too far for a "kit car", I forget what, but probably up near $200k (this was when people were paying stupid prices for cars across the board).

Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 00:24:18 +0930
Subject: Ultima

Wonder if this is one of the ones that went at auction a couple months back... sexy toy.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2030&item=4564977202&rd=1

$135k or offers

ULTIMA GTR 1999

ULTIMAte in performance road car.

Brand new 350 c.i Windsor.

Engine internals all top brands inc: JE Pistons, Ford Motorsport aluminium heads and block.

Multiple throttle body.

Custom ECU - fully programmable.

Current spec Ap Supercar brake package.

Full heim jointed A-Arm suspension front and rear.

Huge Pirelli "PO" Rubber.

Fully optioned including Air conditioning.

300km Plus Performance

Serious Enquiries Only to ...