Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
What keyboards are folks using?

I've been pretty well mostly using SlideIT, but find its becoming less accurate over time somehow. Also the graffiti button, why include gimmicks you'll try just once in a major release? :doh:

The iPhone keyboard is nice and clean, but the most used symbols are harder to get to.

The stock keyboard is Ok, but the layout of buttons is annoying - the hide keyboard button constantly gets hit accidentally, as well as the speech recognition one which is a complete joke.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Eg ill re "write" the following with speech recognition...

Quote from: AshSimmonds

The stock keyboard is Ok, but the layout of buttons is annoying - the hide keyboard button constantly gets hit accidentally, as well as the speech recognition one which is a complete joke.

stop keyboard like a plan to buttons is annoying hide keyboard because we get it accidentally well it's speech recognition lunch is a complete joke

Offline cel

:mad: there's nothing funny about lunch

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Ok, now ill speak this and see how close it gets :p

stop keyboard like a plan to buttons is annoying hide keyboard because we get it accidentally well it's speech recognition lunch is a complete joke

stock keyboard like a plan to pounds is annoying hard keyboard because we get a text and tillie well it's pete recognition luncheon to complete jerk

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

There's a top little widget called "Battery Monitor", highly customisable in a 1x1 footprint, can show three different statuses in that area with about a dozen to choose from, and when you tap it gives you graphs on usage etc.

However, I'm not electrically minded, so out of the options I've got, which I'd the best to tell me at a glance actual battery drainage on my device?

Options and current (no pun) example figures added:

Unplugged: (red, assume consuming)
mA 220
mW 989
V 3,835

Charging: (green, assume acquiring)
mA 750
mW 3,022
V 4,100

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

There's a top little widget called "Battery Monitor", highly customisable in a 1x1 footprint, can show three different statuses in that area with about a dozen to choose from, and when you tap it gives you graphs on usage etc.

However, I'm not electrically minded, so out of the options I've got, which I'd the best to tell me at a glance actual battery drainage on my device?

Options and current (no pun) example figures added:

Unplugged: (red, assume consuming)
mA 220
mW 989
V 3,835

Charging: (green, assume acquiring)
mA 750
mW 3,022
V 4,100

obviously unplugged is drainage, as plugged is charging!

I'm guessing the mA figures show + and - though.... as 750 is more than 250..

so 250 must be - (draining)  and 750 must be + (charging)

??

• Soap Dodger

so, to show actual drainage, I'd think you need the unplugged mA no. to be as low as possible to extend battery recharge interval.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Yeah, thanks Captain Oblivious on the first comment... Anyhoo...

so, to show actual drainage, I'd think you need the unplugged mA no. to be as low as possible to extend battery recharge interval.

Yes, but out of the three choices, mA, mW, and V is a layman like me going to gel with best? I've got ma selected, just want to be sorta sure.

Assume that for Earth Hour I couldn't even find the positive and negative ends...

• Soap Dodger

well mA is current flow.... that's the vital one.

mW is power used

and V is battery status..

so mW is almost useless as an indicator for battery life, other than knowing how hard you're working it....

it's the balance between mA and V

keep the mA as low as possible, and the V will stay up for longer.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Crowdsourcing before Googling again, but are there any good note-taking apps that sync to "the cloud"?

Eg one app I use frequently is simply called Notepad, and all it is is a bunch of entries which are kind of like draft emails - eg you give it a subject and write some stuff in the body - that's it!

It's extremely useful simply because I have a lot of ideas while out and about that I need to jot down in just a few seconds before my brain moves on to something else.  Only problem is that it exists only on that device, and in an age where on any given day you're using 3-5 devices it'd be nice to have the same data sync'd.

I've looked at Evernote and Dropbox and Google Docs and stuff, but their problem is they're too heavy, click open and it can take 30 seconds or even a couple minutes to initialise.  I want instant opening of what's cached already, and to be able to open a note instantly and be in edit mode right away - the thing can do the syncing to the server after I'm done with it.