Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I'd never really heard of this (largely because it's a family wagon with an engine in the wrong end) until Speedy mentioned one the other night, and then last night I saw it on Top Gear.  Couldn't be bothered posting pics, just picture an Audi station wagon - or click here to google it.

Audi RS6: stand by for the super-wagon

Audi has transplanted a Lamborghini engine into a family wagon – and it’s heading down-under.

The world’s most powerful production station wagon is heading for Australia.

Audi will begin importing its red-hot RS6 Avant from September this year with a price tag of $259,000.

The wagon has a more powerful version of the Lamborghini Gallardo’s 5.0-litre twin-turbo V10 engine, complete with racetrack-inspired dry-sump lubrication. While the Gallardo’s V10 is good for 382kW, the new Audi puts out 426kW of power and 650Nm of torque, the latter available from just 1500rpm all the way through to 6500rpm.

That makes it the most powerful car ever to wear the Audi badge. 

The Audi’s power is put to the ground through a faster-shifting version of the brand’s six-speed automatic transmission. It drives all four wheels, with a 60:40 bias towards the rear under normal conditions.

If slippage is detected, up to 85 per cent of torque can be directed to the rear wheels, or 65 per cent to the front wheels.

The car’s standard stability control system can be switched off in two phases, with the second stage allowing more wheel slip. Eight airbags complete the safety package.

Audi claims a 0-100kmh time of 4.6 seconds and a 0-200kmh time of 14.9sec. Top speed is an electronically governed 250km/h.

The Avant will be followed by a sedan version of the RS6 in January next year and Audi is planning to sell just 50 of the hero cars over the lifetime of the model, which could be up to three years.

Roughly half of the first year’s allotment has been sold already.

The model is part of an ambitious plan by Audi to deliver 16 new models over the next seven years.

The German manufacturer says the models will be split between lower-cost variants aimed at conquesting younger buyers, new vehicles in different segments to keep existing customers from defecting and halo cars such as the R8 and RS6, which add lustre to the brand’s image.

The Avant features Audi’s adjustable dynamic ride control suspension, which adjusts shock absorbers according to the road surface and driver demands on the car.

Australian customers will get the company’s sports-plus suspension, which has three adjustable settings: comfort, dynamic and sport.

The transmission also has a sports setting which delivers more aggressive gearshift patterns and sharper throttle responses, with blipping of the throttle on downshifts.

The RS6 has standard 20-inch wheels with 19-inch premium ventilated discs. Optional ceramic brakes are a $19,700 option.

Aside from the larger tyres, the RS6 is distinguished from the rest of the A6 wagon range by a different front end with large air intakes, a unique grille, daytime running lights and flared wheel arches. At the rear, there is a new bumper design incorporating a diffuser and twin oval exhausts.

Inside, there are leather sports seats, a flat-bottomed leather steering wheel with shift paddles, carbonfibre highlights and chrome door sill plates.

Options include a rear parking camera for $1200, a ski-port bag for $550 and MP3 integration into the audio system for $650.

The RS6 uses an average of 13.9 litres per 100km.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

The RS6 uses an average of 13.9 litres per 100km.

I'd like to see it get that!  It will use closer to twice as much as that IRL.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter

(hard to believe I just typed all that in an Audi RS6 topic :D)

oh...this was about Audis? who'd have thought it?

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
And finally back on topic...

Apparently MTM have gone nuts on the RS6 and given it >700hp. :scared:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRPbBeWtxng" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRPbBeWtxng</a>

Offline trev0006

• Chief video spammer

• Drives: Miss Daisy
  • Name: Trevbot
Audi RS6 sedan
Reports now indicate that the twin-turbo V10 580 horspower super-sedan will be unveiled at the upcoming Paris Motor Show this coming October. We can expect the sedan version to carry the same mechanicals as its wagon counterpart, however certain visual updates are expected to be shown on the top-of-the-line RS6 sedan before they trickle down to the entire A6 range.
Fast cars and fast motorcycle video collection

Offline Last_Ride

• Drives: a thing with 4 wheels
  • Name: call me habib
i reckon  audi wants to be in every category....
Exotic
Family sedans
Family station wagons
suv's
the only thing thy need is a ute
my car does 0-100 in 30 mins

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44014241@N03/

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
http://www.carcentral.com.au/200808122557/supercars/audi-rs6-sedan-revealed-ahead-of-paris-motor-show-debut.html

Images available at the link, couldn't be bothered downloading them.

Audi RS6 Sedan revealed ahead of Paris Motor Show debut
Written by Christian Wurfel   
Tuesday, 12 August 2008

Earlier this year, Audi revealed pictures and statistics for its new V10-powered RS6 Avant, and since then we've seen spy images of the sedan variant as it underwent testing. Now the first official details and photographs of the sedan variant have been revealed two months ahead of the car’s debut at this year’s Paris Motor Show.

Just like the RS6 Avant wagon, the new Sedan is fitted with a 5.0-litre twin-turbo V10 engine that churns out 426kW and 650Nm of torque. The car also comes with permanent quattro four-wheel drive and a sports suspension set-up with dynamic ride control.

The RS6 sedan will be available for sale in Europe shortly after its Paris debut, while Australian sales will likely have to wait until sometime next year. 

High-tech powerplant at the centre of the new RS6
Combining FSI direct fuel injection, dry-sump lubrication and two turbochargers tuned to deliver 1.6bar of boost pressure, the RS6's V10 engine delivers smooth, powerful thrust throughout the rev range. Peak torque, for example, is generated between 1,500rpm to 6,250rpm - nearly the entire rev range.

With a power-to-weight ratio of 4.6kg per kilowatt, the RS6 will accelerate from 0-100km/h in 4.5 seconds and tops out at an electronically controlled 250km/h, though that limit can be optionally raised to 280km/h.

Power is transferred to all four wheels via a new six-speed tiptronic automatic gearbox, which has been updated for quicker gear shifts and shorter ratios. The driver can also manually change gears either using the shift lever or paddles located on the steering wheel.

Unique styling mark the RS6 apart from the standard A6
The body of the 4.93m long RS6 also sports a number of distinctive features to distinguish it from the standard sedan. These include a single-frame grill, larger air intakes, adaptive lights with RS6-specific LED daytime running lights, flared fenders and deep side skirts, a rear diffuser, a spoiler integrated into the trunk lid and the two large oval exhaust pipes.

The interior is lined with carbon fibre, aluminium, leather and Alcantara, and is put together with the usual Audi precision and attention for detail. Valcona leather is available as an option. Customers can also choose between two steering wheels - the multifunctional sport steering wheel with three-spoke design, or the RS multifunctional sport steering wheel.

The RS version, which can optionally be covered in suede, features a motorsport style flat-bottomed design and RS6 emblems on the lower spoke. The RS6 also gets its own unique instrument cluster, featuring a boost pressure indicator for the turbocharger, an oil temperature gauge and a lap timer, all of which can be accessed via the driver information system.

High-performance power requires high-performance safety
Audi offers carbon-ceramic brakes for the RS6 with 19inch wheels as standard, however upgrading to the 20inch wheel package gets larger diameter carbon-ceramic brakes sized at 420mm at the front and 356mm at the rear. The combination of huge brakes and large, sticky tyres ensures the RS6 can bring its large, speedy mass to a safe and timely halt when necessary. The upgraded brake discs also weigh a significant 12.2kg less than their steel counterparts and resist fade under repeated full-power braking more readily.
A fully-mechanical Dynamic Ride Control (DRC) system links diagonally-opposed pairs of shock absorbers with hydraulic lines, which when cornering, allow the flow of fluid to the damper of the opposite wheel to increase, providing firmer support and reducing roll. When combined with the sports suspension system, DRC offers a choice of three selectable damper settings – sport, dynamic and comfort – which can be activated via the MMI interface system.

Other safety features include Audi’s lane assist, adaptive cruise control, and Audi side assist lane change warning system. Electronic stability also comes as standard, but can be set to a ‘Sport’ mode or even deactivated entirely. Audi claims the base setting for the stability control is designed with a ‘dynamic’ driving style in mind, and has an accordingly high threshold for activation.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I think I prefer the wagon.  Somehow all that grunt seems even more nuts in a wagon.

There was a very tidy RS6 (previous model) sedan at the carwash yesterday.  The owner was an older gent who was happy to talk cars till the cows came home.  He said he's had Benzes and BMW's but likes the Audi best of all.  The only thing wrong with his car is a hard ride he said.

Offline UKKAUS

I've had the older RS6 Plus Avant. It had about 470 BHP and 4WD! I used to race bikes for fun! I've also had a few RS4's for sale, mainly the saloon versions, they're all awaesome cars, really well engineered and great fun to drive. Theres no better feeling than blowing away a Porsche with your dog in the back!