Offline Nick32

lol...its a bit of an in-joke captain  ;)

Oh my bad.. thanks for clearing that up then tiger.. lol 'captain' the only person who calls me that is my GF and thats a whole other story.. A bit of an in-joke between us..

Btw, how is it a critisism to say the R8 is mechanically like the RS4. Yes they share an extremely similar engine (which was being praised as great achievement when released) but what else?? I don't know the answer so please enlighten me. The quattro system is improved from the RS4, the engine is in a complete different part of the chassis. And from the way it performs, how can you criticise it for being mechanically similar to another great car. Please inform me.. Unless this is another in-joke i'm not up to scratch with.. :D lol

Offline atomic

Ashsimmonds for the first time in a very long time i have to disagree with you,
there are 23 R8's being delivered into Australia during the next 14mths (source Jorgensman of Audi Corporation) and so the car will never become as common as the porsche.

Aircon, stop cutting and pasting, create your own opion.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
there are 23 R8's being delivered into Australia during the next 14mths (source Jorgensman of Audi Corporation) and so the car will never become as common as the porsche.

Ok, well that just means there's a longer window for it to be uber-cool than I thought.  I originally heard that customers wouldn't even be getting them until November next year - but given how many are popping up around the world now, including NZ, I figgered that was no longer true. 

I still think that by summer '08/'09 you'll be seeing them nearly every day - I reckon they'll get a stigma of "yuppie-car" like current high-end Audis and BMWs and low-end Porsches.

Offline [355]

• Token WRX Driver
  • COPTER CHAMPION

Ok, well that just means there's a longer window for it to be uber-cool than I thought.  I originally heard that customers wouldn't even be getting them until November next year - but given how many are popping up around the world now, including NZ, I figgered that was no longer true. 

I still think that by summer '08/'09 you'll be seeing them nearly every day - I reckon they'll get a stigma of "yuppie-car" like current high-end Audis and BMWs and low-end Porsches.

yep, it is rather possible.

not to take anything from the car im sure its awesome, with the level of quality Audi has come to be known for.

but i get the feeling ill be seeing more in the CBD piloted by lawyers and stockbrokers than out tackling race/driving events.  nothing wrong with that at all...but it just says more 'daily' than 'exotic' to me...
Team <200mph

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Actually I was just thinking - the R8 would make an excellent platform for a GT3/GTP/whatever series car.  Once the price drops a bit I reckon we'll start seeing them campaigned competitively in various series/rallies.

Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

I just wonder if the Audi R8 will ultimately end up being something similar to the Honda NSX. Dynamically quite brilliant (according to reports!) for its time but it just ends up lacking a certain something, destined to remain a minor league "supercar".

In the meantime, I'll stick to my R8........

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Possibly, thing is it's a different age, the NSX came out over 15 years ago and was arguably the best not-low-volume sportscar at the time - light years beyond anything the company had previously produced, AND there is a hint of cult/passion to it with people being able to associate it with Senna.

The R8...  it's a great performer by the look of it, but still only in the middle-ground really - to be on par with the NSX it would have to be as good or better than the Gallardo/F430/997 GT3.  And there's nothing passionate about it that people can latch onto... No mystical marque for fanboi's, no God-like designer/engineer/driver to associate it with...  I have a feeling it'll be a revolving door of comments/justifications which clutch onto it's Lamborghini connections, and we can expect to hear many varied accounts of just how much of a Lamborghini it actually is.

In the end it's a "nothing car" - just a fairly hot looking and very good performing car.

In the meantime, I'll stick to my R8........

:D

Offline Nick32

Btw, how is it a critisism to say the R8 is mechanically like the RS4. Yes they share an extremely similar engine (which was being praised as great achievement when released) but what else?? I don't know the answer so please enlighten me. The quattro system is improved from the RS4, the engine is in a complete different part of the chassis. And from the way it performs, how can you criticise it for being mechanically similar to another great car. Please inform me.. Unless this is another in-joke i'm not up to scratch with..  lol

That was directed at you [355]. I've just never heard that criticism before so I was hoping you would elaborate, thanks chief.

But if anyone else can further explain his statement that an r8 is mechanically similar to the RS4 please do because i'm curious..

Offline [355]

• Token WRX Driver
  • COPTER CHAMPION

they share the same V8 dont they?
Team <200mph

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
Aircon, stop cutting and pasting, create your own opion.

what? fuck off.
I love my car. Buy your own