Offline elsieprobert

Hi guys, I am a newbie here.  Yet another person asking the question - which is the best 'blah blah blah'to buy.  So - sorry to annoy you but I need advice.  My Subaru Impreza has just been written off by the insurance company which I found shocking considering how little damage was actually done by the hail here.  I now have about $13,000 to spend on a new car.  I am a single mum with two kids (9 and 13) so am after something that can fit at least 4 people.  I want it to be my daily drive rather than something that only comes out on the weekends. 

I have always wanted an old fiat and figure this may be my opportunity.  I am just worried that I may be being impractical as people I talk to keep telling me I should get something newer and more reliable (holden barina has been mentioned!).  Do you think it is possible to buy one of the classic fiats and use it as a daily drive in the knowledge that it will not leave me stranded.  I am prepared to spend two or three thousand at the mechanic if that is necessary.  I suppose I need someone who has a good knowledge of these cars to tell me if I am being at all realistic or if it is a pipe dream.  My biggest fear is buying a car that I love and then finding it is constantly breaking down. If it is a realistic ambition, which of the older fiats would you recommend (love the old 500's!)

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Man - this thread is so awesome yet so fail all in one I just want to cuddle it until little mini threads pop out.

$13k is about perfect for what to spend on buying and making sure an old Fiat is gunna serve you well - but that bit about being a single mum with kids... jeez - I just can't bring myself to recommend this path.

I really hate putting my brain into reality mode, so unless you actually supply and request more information I'll avoid specifics - but from what we know so far, it's not recommended.

Online allanuber

• Name: Al

Indeedy, unless the plan is to meet a lot of mechanics a daily driven Fiat is still going to be a ballsy call.

Though. Sub 10K does get you one of these...
C'mon, do it!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

LOVE the Coupe!  Never seen one in Aust before....

Offline elsieprobert

Meeting lots of mechanics?  Well - doesn't sound all bad, except for the expense.  Could be cheaper ways of catching a man.  Hmmm - need to think more about this.  My 'what the hell, just go for it and have some fun' brain and my 'now lets be sensible' brain are having a wrestle at the moment.  Thanks so much for the replies.

Online allanuber

• Name: Al
LOVE the Coupe!  Never seen one in Aust before....

Could be yours for about 10K mate  :)
C'mon, do it!

Offline elsieprobert

I was wondering if something like this would be the go.  I think it is very groovy - no idea however what they are like to drive or maintainence required, quite happy to spend some time learning however.  Any other suggestions out there?

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Not ideal for real sized humans.  But do you have small pets that can drive?   :D

I was looking into early to mid 80s GTVs recently.  Maintenance and rust nightmares...  but if you're prepared/educated/warned, then that's not as big a deal as some make out.

You just have to have a lot more money in reserve just in case (relative to the Impreza I mean).

And don't forget that when you go old school Alfa Romeo, you may not find air con, power steering probably won't be an option, and driving with shoes on may become a thing of the past with the pedal arrangement not being so friendly.

Let us know what you decide either way...

Offline elsieprobert

Thanks for that.  My kelpie is talented but driving is beyong her - point taken!  I like the alfa gtv idea and this one did catch my eye earlier.  It is a 1971 though, do you think the 80's models are a safer/better bet?  Air con etc isn't a big deal for me.  Just watched a top-gear segment on the gtv - they thought they were pretty handy.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Safer bet?  That'll come down to your own values and what exactly you're going for.  But obviously the older something is the harder it will be to find parts.

If you know that some tiny creature comforts like aircon, power steer, and even inertia reel seat belts aren't important, and you can be without it for weeks (months?) while parts are sourced when something breaks or you're in an accident, then there's no downside...  just go for it!!!