Offline elsieprobert

O.k, I don't think it is for me.  As much as I love the idea - whatever car I buy will be my one and only (therefore can't have it off the road for extended periods of time).  Not the right time in my life for this, perhaps I will look at getting a used current model Ritmo.  Might be hard to find one in my price range but not impossible.  Would probably prefer a new Punto Sport but there don't seem to be any around with enough km's on the clock to bring them into my price range which is a max of about $18,000.

Thanks so much for your advice.  You have answered my question perfectly which really was "am I dreaming?"- clearly yes.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Plenty of Punto's in the $10-20k range.

No idea if they're not rubbish.

Offline j15

The fact is you're talking about cars that are 25-30+ years old. It's my opinion that no Italian (or any) manufacturer of the day ever engineered these cars with that sort of life expectancy in mind. In other words, parts are destined to fail.

As such, whatever car you buy of that vintage will almost certainly be a constant work in progress. To what degree is up to you, if you just want it to have enough life in it to start every day then it won't be as strenuous an exercise.  If you want it to be a nice, shiny car that runs like a sewing machine and drives like a magic carpet then there will always be something to work on, whether its to repair something, or if its preventative maintenance. Therefore you need to factor in how much you're going to use it, if there is an alternative plan for the days it will be off the road, and if you can afford all that for a car.

I know this because I own a car that will turn 21 years old this year, and in fine tuning it to my own tastes its been checked into the mechanic once every two months or so for various repairs and maintenance. The last two occasions have been for a brake light switch as wells as a handbrake adjustment and a tricky odometer repair.

While the above may seem like an apocalyptic prophecy, I really meant for it to sound like a cautionary tale; its not like it will leave you stranded on the roadside every other day, but rather thereís a chance of a few hiccups down the road. The fact that youíd consider such a thing indicates that youíre inclined towards cars, so maybe what Iíve said isnít such a problem. I think the people that have posted love the idea (as do i) because rather than just having an appliance for transport, you have a car to cherish and enjoy! Iíd only want you to go into that with your eyes open. A subaru is a comfy, reliable car. The contrast between that and a classic alfa/fiat is night and day. There's very few creature comforts and it will come with its own faults (or charms) that may need repair. On the other hand though, For the last 18-24 months i've also toyed with the idea of getting an alfa 1750/2000 gtv and Iíve met a few owners. They seem to enjoy a love/hate relationship with their cars, but the work they do to keep the thing on the straight and narrow endears them to the car, and makes the driving of those cars an enjoyable, worthwhile experience.

Offline j15

O.k, I don't think it is for me.  As much as I love the idea - whatever car I buy will be my one and only (therefore can't have it off the road for extended periods of time).  Not the right time in my life for this, perhaps I will look at getting a used current model Ritmo.  Might be hard to find one in my price range but not impossible.  Would probably prefer a new Punto Sport but there don't seem to be any around with enough km's on the clock to bring them into my price range which is a max of about $18,000.

Thanks so much for your advice.  You have answered my question perfectly which really was "am I dreaming?"- clearly yes.

Probably should have read this before writing my essay  :doh:

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com

Oh no - did I scare you off??   :D

But yeah could never recommend old school Italian stuff if you do need something that must be relied on.

Oh, and don't forget to take total cost of ownership into account for the newer stuff too.  Even if it is more reliable you will probably find major servicing costs to be more than your average Impreza.

Offline tentacles1

No idea if they're not rubbish.

Being the former owner of a Punto and currently driving a 500 I figure it is time for a few comments from me.

Firstly the Punto was a brilliant little car, never had any reliability issues, amazingly economical, fun, different enough not to be boring, and, as I found out through an old man deciding to run into the back of my car at about 50km/h, very safe. After having been repaired (should have been a write off), it was never the same so saw a 500 that took my fancy and made the switch. Trade in was <10k due to the accident history and my "unique" colour choice.

As far as comments about the 500 go, it is also a fun little car, but, and I am probably the only one to ever say this, doesn't seem to have the character of the Punto. Benefits of the 500 are the resale compared to the Punto and the positive comments the car gets. Even today, with the car about to be 2 years old, people still come up and comment and chat about the car which I enjoy. Doubt there would be many cars in this price range that would receive the same reception.

So the modern Fiats in my opinion are great, and I think some of the best value for money used cars available due to the general Australian public's lack of knowledge about the brand. Cheap 500s come along too, saw one a week or two ago for 17k but this was a bad colour and spec with higher kms, so given your budget, a tidy condition, low km Punto would be a good bet. Hope my rant helps.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Am I the only one that has not missed the part that she has 2 kids and a tight budget?

Go for Korean econo box. Your insurance money will get you an on road super reliable, super economical brand new car with warranty.

Or, get a 7 year old Ford Falcon Wagon with under 100,000km, which will also be super reliable even though not that economical, but repair costs (it shouldn't need any) will be dirt cheap. That can be your daily driver.
With the left overs, get a toy.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Where's Mr Getz and his 2 cents worth........... :scratchchin:

Here I am, how did I miss this thread????

Anyway, for sensible head, go the Getz. But make sure you get a 1.6 engine and 5 doors, the 1.4 are way to gutless, and the 3 door ones are too much of a twist to reach the seat belt PLUS of course, the handiness of 5 doors etc etc.

BUT, I'm a 6ft 2 and a bit mechanic, and I have had several Fiats/Alfa etc as my daily cars over the years... I got them 'cos I thought, yeah, I'll just fix 'em when they stop.... but get this..... they didn't... not one of 'em. They just kept on going and going, despite my use and abuse of them.

I (or my family members) had a few 126's... or FSM or whatever you call them here in Oz... early ones and late ones... they were ALL superb..

sure, you' have the odd glitch here and there, but never any show stoppers . In the winter/snow/ice etc they were amazing little things... I'd go places the Land Rovers couldn't go, due to the superb traction of rear engine/skinny wheels. And the heaters are INSTANT as they come from the exhaust manifolds...

Mate popped in today with his new acquisition... an Alfa 33 1.5 sportswagen 4X4 .. 1985 I think.... superb carburettor/engine sound, heaps of space, and 4WD for the wet/mud/snow.... all for ~$1200  :thumbsup: