Offline jparrie

Ok, so I could just go up to my nearest Jag dealer and pay the massively inflated price that I have been quoted which is $229,000.

However, if I buy the same vehicle in the UK, I am likely to pay around (at current mental exchange rates) just over $100k for it.

So I figure what I need is a car importer here in Australia who will, for a fixed fee, import the vehicle for me. Don't know how it all works and don't really want to know. All I know is that I want a new XK and I know I can get one cheaper than from my local Jag dealer - well, I think I can.

Can I?

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
what year/model... new?

doubt it's on the SEVS list.... you won't get one in IMO.

You can buy a lot of great local cars for mid $100ks though.

Much less pain.

Offline jparrie

Well, ideally I'm after a brand new 2010 Jaguar XKR, convertible, the new one with the twiddly auto gear-knob.

The $229,000 I was quoted was for the coupe so add about $20k for the drop-top.

I'm in considerable pain because as an English expat I know what these things sell for back home and although I just love giving KRudd seemingly endless supplies of my cash, somehow when I know I'm being fleeced, I just can't do it.

There must be a way? surely? 

Edit: What's the SEVS list?

Offline waz356

Quick searck of Jaguars for sale in the UK:

2010 Jaguar Xk Convertible 5.0 Supercharged V8 R 2dr AutoList Price = 80550

How do you figure "just over $100k for it"?

Oh, and there are no Jags on the SEVS register: http://www.raws.com.au/SEVSReg.asp

Offline jparrie

OK, so I can't do it. Or there's no car importer than can do it either (even for a fee). Wonder why not? Oh yes, maybe they are all making a motza out of the cars they do import?

I think that's the real answer, the usual Australian protectionist government is hard at work, as usual.

Your 80,550 is about $135k at the moment, however, I can buy one, brand new, for just over 66,000, you'll just have to trust me on this, I have contacts. That's about $110,000, what I would call "just over $100k".

But that's not the issue, the issue is that KRudd and his kronies won't let me because his beloved Unions are in his pocket. I hate Labour and every cretin that voted for him.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Imports haven't ever been open slate, I don't think you can just blame Rudd.

I somehow doubt the inconvenience of not being able to afford a new local jag outweights the other benefits of being in Oz, vs being in the UK.
C'mon, do it!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Imports haven't ever been open slate, I don't think you can just blame Rudd.

I have a mag somewhere with an article about how you *can* buy a brand new Porsche 928 (I think) for less o/s, but I think in the end they came to the same conclusion that the headfucks and unknowns didn't make it worthwhile for the average punter.

I might be remembering it all wrong, only skimmed it, years ago.

Offline akatyk

You won't be able to import it unless you own it for, correct me if I am wrong, 2 years overseas. You cannot parallel import cars - if a car is sold in Australia officially, you cannot just import it in. It has to be on that SEVS list, over 15 years old (once again correct me if I am wrong with numbers), or you have to own it for a certain number of years overseas.

I prefer Labor or Liberal, but it is not the current Labor government that introduced this. In fact, wasn't it the Howard government that made the restrictions even tighter about 5 something years ago?

Offline waz356

Your 80,550 is about $135k at the moment, however, I can buy one, brand new, for just over 66,000, you'll just have to trust me on this, I have contacts. That's about $110,000, what I would call "just over $100k".

Even at your price, by the time you add the cost of getting the thing here, GST, LCT, compliance and you're nowhere near $100k...

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Even at your price, by the time you add the cost of getting the thing here, GST, LCT, compliance and you're nowhere near $100k...

I've got no idea about SEVS/RAWS (whatever) costs, but el calcumundo says nearly AU$150k landed for a 66k car, if it were eligible.