Offline diabloinoz

• 300kph+ club

Could be my old car?

Is that a good thing?  :D :eek: ;)

I'm trying to get BenC to go have a look at it ... it's at Prestige Motor Haus in Whetherill Park ... not exactly an exotic location! They've had a few interesting cars through their doors.

Offline F1V10

• Drives: V10 M5
  • Name: Mr HaHa

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Could be my old car?

Wouldn't think too many yellow murcies with yellow seats had the LP640 taillights fitted?

And I had the calipers painted yellow.

Though mine had LP640 rims plus clear engine lid fitted.

This looks like the standard plastic engine lid?

Actually when you had yours I saw one exactly as described doing a drop off at a school formal down here on the GC and thought it may have been you. However if you've never done such a delivery then there's another just as described around somewhere.

Offline E7ITE

Is that a tubi exhaust as well?  The tips look larger than standard.

Love how the ad doesnt actually describe the car at all   :rolleyes:

Offline Andy@MMRT

• Dodging Coconuts

• Drives: Murcielago
Is that a good thing?  :D :eek: ;)

I'm trying to get BenC to go have a look at it ... it's at Prestige Motor Haus in Whetherill Park ... not exactly an exotic location! They've had a few interesting cars through their doors.

If it's clean it should go pretty quickly i think.  I didn't think he was going to get a look in under 300k with the rate prices were going. 

Offline sinkman

Is that a tubi exhaust as well?  The tips look larger than standard.

Love how the ad doesnt actually describe the car at all   :rolleyes:

Agree, it has Tubis and also my second favourite colour after the orange...I wonder if it has been crashed as it seems a ripper deal...

Offline BenC

• Bus Driver

• Drives: cars
  • Name: Ben
Well I went and had a look today.

I was keen from the ad but after having seen the car and meeting the dealer, no go.

My concerns were numerous. 

1)  I'm 90% sure its had a fairly major accident on the rear.  There is a distinct crease running across the rear ahead of the tail lights where the paint goes from the ripple carbon fibre pattern to a flat metal surface.   It was my understanding (though i'm no expert) that the whole rear end was a carbon fibre shell.

I've attached a photo here.  Looking at the reflection of the overhead light, the underlying carbon weave creates a ripple pattern in the light.  However half way long, the pattern changes to a smooth flat metallic surface, and the reflection is true.

From another angle you can see the crease.

Its alot more visible in person.

2) The seat bolsters have A LOT of wear.  My car has 45,000 km yet the seats look 1/4 the age of these.  For a car with 21,000 km, it looks suspicious.  The interior switches are very worn, some you can't even see what the icon originally was.  Again, maybe my cars the exception, but none of my switches look anything like this.

3) The logbooks report only 5 services ever from new.  The dealer says the car was bought and operated in ML yet all servicing was done in BN and from 2008, Sydney.  Further, the car has only done 500km in the last 8 years?  And why is the logbook sticky taped together with pages floating all over the place.  Something doesn't ad up.

4) Why is the thing for sale in possibly the dodgiest looking dealership I have ever been to.  Weatheril Park, filled with Queen St racing cars and their owners.

Anyway, maybe I'm being a bit precious about the whole thing, and maybe I'm completely wrong.  But I've learned to trust my gut so I'll be steering clear.

Andre has some better pictures that he'll post up when he gets home.

Offline David B

It seems to fit the exotic car addage that goes the cheapest for sale, biggest in problems.

Something had to be dodgy given all other Murchies (a favorite of mine and followed for years on CS) are asking increasing value.

I havent seen a sub 300K price for over 18 months now.

Poor repair probably makes it worthless.

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
Well I went and had a look today.

I was keen from the ad but after having seen the car and meeting the dealer, no go.

My concerns were numerous. 

1)  I'm 90% sure its had a fairly major accident on the rear.  There is a distinct crease running across the rear ahead of the tail lights where the paint goes from the ripple carbon fibre pattern to a flat metal surface.   It was my understanding (though i'm no expert) that the whole rear end was a carbon fibre shell.

I've attached a photo here.  Looking at the reflection of the overhead light, the underlying carbon weave creates a ripple pattern in the light.  However half way long, the pattern changes to a smooth flat metallic surface, and the reflection is true.

From another angle you can see the crease.

Its alot more visible in person.

2) The seat bolsters have A LOT of wear.  My car has 45,000 km yet the seats look 1/4 the age of these.  For a car with 21,000 km, it looks suspicious.  The interior switches are very worn, some you can't even see what the icon originally was.  Again, maybe my cars the exception, but none of my switches look anything like this.

3) The logbooks report only 5 services ever from new.  The dealer says the car was bought and operated in ML yet all servicing was done in BN and from 2008, Sydney.  Further, the car has only done 500km in the last 8 years?  And why is the logbook sticky taped together with pages floating all over the place.  Something doesn't ad up.

4) Why is the thing for sale in possibly the dodgiest looking dealership I have ever been to.  Weatheril Park, filled with Queen St racing cars and their owners.

Anyway, maybe I'm being a bit precious about the whole thing, and maybe I'm completely wrong.  But I've learned to trust my gut so I'll be steering clear.

Andre has some better pictures that he'll post up when he gets home.

Sounds Suss.

A paint depth reader should help although  I am not sure if they can ping off Carbon Fibre.

The books sound very disappointing and the seat is always the biggest give away.

I also know that Murcies are a piece of piece to wiz back... so sounds like a car to steer clear of.
May the Horse be with you....

Offline diabloinoz

• 300kph+ club

Where to start ...

OK ... first the movie ... if you look carefully across the middle ... you will see the crease moving horizontally up the screen then back down again.  I tried to position the light directly in the middle of it.

scud ... this car was delivered to Euro Automotive in Southport in 2003 - was it yours?  xxLA12437

Dealer told us it was delivered to Melbourne originally.

Exhaust was a Mille Migle exhaust tips ... might have been replaced if the rear end has been in a shunt?

Buttons were dirty - see the 2 pics ... but we were told the owner was fastidious about keeping it mint and clean ... really?

Seats ... the photos don't show how bad they were.  Definitely worn.  My car has done 60,000km now and my seats still look mint by comparison with these ... but this has only covered 21k km.  You can judge that for yourself.

Both front lights were fogged.

I spent a bit of time looking around and under the car while Ben was chatting upstairs.

Powersteering / lift kit fluid was pooled on the ground underneath the front left wheel.

Rear subframe that holds the engine looked like it was slightly uneven in height ... i.e. not dead horizontal to the ground.  I'm sure a spirit level would show if my untrained eye was right or not.

Now onto the paperwork ... where do I start.

I was shown 3 service paperwork only. 1 was an $800 service (basically some fluids).  The paperwork said it was for a Gallardo.  The second was another service record which said it was for a Diablo, and the last one was actually a Murci receipt - but was for investigation of something and "repairs" - but didn't specify what.  That was it in terms of paperwork !!!!

As for the service book ... I think my 9yr old could have stitched together a better example.  The front page is attached here ... the rest was so random and spliced and sellotaped into place ... I leave it up to you to work out whether the rest of the service book is genuine or not.  The one page that showed a few stamps ... 14k km (in 2005) in Brisbane and 21k km (2011) and 21k km (2014) - the last 2 in Lamborghini Sydney!!

Nothing to show the first owner service, nothing to show the other services? Hence you can assume none were done in the years it's stood still.

Only one immobiliser, 2 keys - he said "I'll sort that later for you" ... of course you will!!

Needless to say, we didn't start it or drive it.  No need.

It's invaluable to have some non-emotional input when buying one of these things - the emotions of buying a v12 supercar can carry you away.  I know Andrei did the same for me when I bought my Diablo - keeping it real.