Offline patersoi

• Drives: Esprit S1
Hi fellow lotusfans
Just imported an almost pristine and totally original Esprit S1 from the UK to Sydney without really knowing how everything would go. Doing it's ADR compliance now and the RTA Engineer is not familiar with Lotus cars.  Which means I need your help!

My seats are bolted into the fibreglass tub from what I can see.  Exactly as they are on my Elan M100.  But the guy says I will need to fabricate a steel frame under the car attached to the chassis to secure the seats "safely."  Nightmare!

Can you confirm for me whether your Esprit (any version) has the seats bolted to the fibreglass tub or has some sort of metal structure to bolt the seats to (same for seatbelts).

I also have to confirm the car has a collapsible steering column.  Any idea how to demonstrate this? You can't see it and details online are proving elusive.

I will share my story and experiences with you all (and photos - she is gorgeous) once I get her registered.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
wow, thanks for starting this topic, i've been curious about bringing over an old Esprit as well, so this will be a good resource for me, i look forward to hearing how you get on.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

What the....?!?!?!

Why does it need an ADR compliance??? How was it imported???

In regards to the seat bolts I would have to check but I am pretty sure there was only some big washers used for the bolts going through the glass tub on my S4s but it wouldn't be hard to make up some plates - but attached back to the Chassis??? Sounds like overkill to me.....

As for the collapsible steering column, the best way is to email these guys and ask if they can supply you the documentation: technical@lotuscars.com

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Dunno if it's relevant or not....

but a 246 Dino has only fibreglass mounted seat bolts for the front of the seat. In fact, it's just a little square of steel set into the glass, and it can easily be broken away. The rear of the seat goes into steel FWIW, but with Ferraris, often the glass is better than the steel....

In a two seater, the likelyhood of the seat breaking loose in a rearward crash is lessened, as there is no space for it to move in to, as it will hit the bulkhead.

I'd seek a second opinion form another tester.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I'd seek a second opinion form another tester.

Oh, so this is the NSW RTA VASS thingy is it.......

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something Different
I believe all Esprit seats were mounted straight through the body with no re-inforcing.  My 94' S4 certainly is.  With regard to the collapsible steering column I didn't think that phrase was around back in the 70's.  As Mondi mentioned, throw your questions direct to technical support at Lotus.  I don't think you're going to move forward with your present guy and would say to try another, more knowledgable RTA 'engineer', once you're armed with answers.  Went I put my car thru compliancing, the only thing he said to me was... Say that's a nice car,  & yep she's good to go.  And that took all of 10 minutes.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

With regard to the collapsible steering column I didn't think that phrase was around back in the 70's. 

Collapsible columns have been an ADR item since 1969. My '68 Stang has one and the 1970 Plymouth that we just had VASS'ed needed a retrofitting column from a Valiant to pass, but that was the only issue.

Going by the parts lists and diagrams it will have one but he needs the docos to back it up.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

This is igniting the flame again for an S1 to be added to the collection.   :p

This is a behind the scenes photo from "that" movie which appears to be an S1 being used as a camera car.   :cool:

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
I've been wanting a MINT white S1 for years!