Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Well I seem to be getting a spare throttle body for a 3200gt, Long story short is the throttle body in the 3200gt is faulty and after time and use (usually after 50 000km) the fly by wire mechanisms fuk up and your car will likely fall into limp mode every time you hit a bump in the road or you turn sharp corners too quickly, and eventually comes up and stays on without warning....the engine light comes up and you are restricted to about 2000rpm at any given moment.

There is such a short supply of these in OZ that I was forced to send mine overseas to the UK to get it rebuilt (which fixes the issue for ever), at the same time my Father Purchased a new unit from Italy without me knowing. Long story short I have a new and a refurbished unit on the way here, I only need one (don't really care which one I keep because the car is likely to be traded in for something newer anyway).

Maserati Sydney quoted $7k just for the part, i'm not sure how much the ones comming over will owe us because I don't know the price of the new one my father purchased. Anyway throw an offer on either units if your interested and in the meantime i'll try and see how much it owes, i'm guessing the refurb will end up being $2500 and the new one about $4000 ish probably lower but i'm just trying to keep safe untill i know for sure.

Also since the volvo's used the exact same throttle body i took mine to volvo to see if they could refurbish it here but it couldn't be done without the software from maserati that costs $3k byitself.

Any questions about 3200gt's give me a pm, I know quite abit about them now after first hand experience, i'm confident I know more than those so called "Maserati/Ferrari" mechanics at Italia Motori who were suposeably imported from Italy
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline povoro

Hi,
Are you selling the throttle body? I am thinking of sending mine to be converted to contactless by David Askew in the UK. Is that what you got done to yours?
Thanks,
Pov

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Update: Turns out I could cancel my rebuilt order so I just went for buying a new unit through David Askew. Went with a new unit because it looks so much better trying to sell the car than a rebuild sounds (even though I know a top of the range rebuild is better in the long run).

Which rebuild were you after? I was going to go for the one with half new parts or the full rebuild with all new parts in it.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

How do you know its a throttle body issue?

Offline povoro

Hi, successive replacement of sensors, lamdar O2 etc etc, replaced acc potentiometer, just to realise that the rev build while stationary was possibly related to the t/b.

The car has been great. no major issues over 3 years. Regular items you would expect from a 9 y.o car. replaced radiator and used the opp to replace every rubber item in engine and turbo hoses, radiator computer etc, window motors, and most recently the slave master cylinder for the clutch. It snapped one eveing before Christmas in the city - clutch pedal wouldnt spring back....fun. no major pain... $600+ labour.

To be honest my new Audi A4 and Merc ML have had more major and more expensive fixes than the Mas, so i think Italian cars get a bad wrap because there are fewer cars with more expensive repairs relative to the more mainstream pedigrees.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Take it to maserati or to a good ferrari/volvo repair workshop and get them to hook it up to an SD2/3 harness to read the engine fault codes, the fault codes will tell you exactly where the fault is originating from, chances are it is the TB playing up but incase it isn't then why fix something thats not broken?

If it was going into limp mode and the engine fault light was comming up then i'd almost garantee it is the TB, but since its idle flutter it could be anything from fuel additive to an ecu fault, cable tensioner or even a floor mat causing the idle flutter.

Let me know how you go

Offline povoro

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

*update*

I got both the Refurb and New throttle body. The refurb owes me $2500 and the new unit owes $3000 AUD. The refurbished unit comes with 12 month waranty and it was done in the UK. There is no profit margin in it once you pay for the air frieght.
I rang up Maserati Sydney spare parts today and now they charge $8000 for the same brand new unit I am selling for $3000, + they charge $500 to install it (which takes literally 5 minutes to perform). Otherwise they said they can install it for $500 even if you source the part yourself.

In my opinion the refurbished unit is better than the new unit because the faulty parts of the old unit were replaced with parts that can not possibly ware out.

PM me if interested or if you need help with your Maserati

Offline linusgeoff

Have you still got the new throttle body for 3K. I'm in Sydney.
Cheers
Geoff

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

PM sent