Offline Simon P

Hi all!  I have a BMW 330Ci 2001 model with all options.  It's a great car!  But I'm looking for something with more power.  I have approximately $25,000 to spend.  I was considering an E34 M3 with a manual gearbox (not SMG).  But I think I would be going backwards, considering I have an E46 BMW 330Ci.  I want a car with power, luxury, safety, reliability, low maintenance costs and something that won't attract the police.  I was thinking of a Merc CLK55 or Merc E55 (both 2000 models). 

Or maybe a Audi S4 B6 or BMW M3 E46 (but I think the BMW will be out of my price range for a while).  Can anyone advice me of the pros and cons of the CLK55 208, E55 210, BMW M3 E46 and Audi S4 B6.  Cheers!

Offline theintelligent1

• Vodka is Just Unfinished Gin

• Drives: Miss Daisy
Hi all!  I have a BMW 330Ci 2001 model with all options.  It's a great car!  But I'm looking for something with more power.  I have approximately $25,000 to spend.  I was considering an E34 M3 with a manual gearbox (not SMG).  But I think I would be going backwards, considering I have an E46 BMW 330Ci.  I want a car with power, luxury, safety, reliability, low maintenance costs and something that won't attract the police.  I was thinking of a Merc CLK55 or Merc E55 (both 2000 models).  Can anyone advice me of the pros and cons of the CLK55 and E55.  Cheers!

Dont know anything much about the clk55.....but the e55 w210 know a few people with them o/s & driven them a bit........engine is pretty much bulletproof (so same would apply for the clk, maybe the E has a slightly different tune?).......2000 or 01 is the model to get as that was facelifted interior/exterior, got touchshift and maybe a few other things......only things i know they changed/had issues was MAF sensor, motor mounts....

Also as with any Benz of that period make sure the tranny has been flushed in its service history........filled for life  :doh:......

Offline Simon P

Cheers!  Thanks for your advice! 

Or maybe a Audi S4 B6 or BMW M3 E46 (but I think the BMW will be out of my price range for a while).  Can anyone advice me of the pros and cons of the CLK55 208, E55 210, BMW M3 E46 and Audi S4 B6.  Cheers!

Offline Neru

earlier this year I was looking to buy an s4 or e46 m3, but then I lost my job and decided to build my a3 and save a bit of money

the s4 is a little nose heavy (from the v8) but very comfortable and reliable. Didnt get to spend much time m3 but it was much quicker than the s4 is not as a common sight at a e46 m3 and most people won't be able to pick it.

I've heard good things about adding JHM headers and tune to the s4, and that it makes a huge difference. Furthermore the s4 are at a good price these days

Offline Simon P

Thanks Neru.  Yes, The S4 is a great looking car.  But the interior doesn't seem to have the quality of the Merc's and BMW's.  And the car is very heavy.  Plus, the Audi wasn't anywhere near the new price of the CLK55 and E55.

Offline Neru

yeah I would pick a merc e55 amg  and e39 m5 or e46 m3 over the s4 any day

the s4 is a nice car dont get me wrong, if you do get one get the full leather with the RNS-E

Offline Simon P

THOUGHT ID POST SOME ANSWERS I GOT FROM ANOTHER FORUM:

w210 E55 is a solid car. probably don't have any problem except it just looks old, but you can mod it some and make it look pretty classic. the last year is the best.

02-04 C32. supercharger won't be the problem with this car. i don't think anyone on the board has actually blown their supercharger. the thing that will need replaced is the supercharger clutch bearings and those are cheap. the crank position sensor which is cheap as well and then there are the common problems with the w203 such as powerseat draining the battery. all the problems are pretty much all listed in the forum and most of them can easily be DIYed.

w209 clk500 or 55. again, solid car. the later year the better. some common issue shared with the 203.

the crank position sensor are a problem common on all MBs.

B6 S4, from what i have seen. some people seems to have electric issues for ignition wirings. other than that...good car is you want a decent power V8 with 4wd. but the interior room is crap.

E36 M3, clean ones are hard to come by. unless you want a project car. it's not worth the hassle.

E46 M3, you have a 330Ci. i'm pretty sure you are aware of E46s' problems.

MB depreciation is ****, but the CLK500 and w211 E500 in same condition as the C32 will actually cost more. all depends on what year and $$ you are looking for.

I understand the 4.2L Audi motors are quite the pain when it comes to timing chain and tensioner issues. Motor out procedure. But arguably the nicest interiors of the three mainstream German manufacturers.

I would suggest the c32 or e55, why? they got good brakes and engines that can take some punishment. Take a look at the 210 e55 picture threat they can look pretty badass. love the v8 from the E55amg handles pretty good for a big car and it sounds amazing, for the more sharp cornering and maybe track driving? c32. the w211 is a nice car to, but it's a whole different kind of car it's more like the grown up man's car, still got plenty of power. Test drive a c32 and try an e55 again, and decide everyone has a different opinion on how a car should feel like driving it's up to you.

Sweet! Great info from you guys! Thanks! Yes, ill take a c32 for a drive. Regarding the W210 e55, I know the 2000-2002 is a better version than pre-2000. But I prefer the pre-2000 side skirts better. It looks more slick / smooth / flush. What I also realized is that the e55 doesnt have a limited slip dif. Wtf. When I drove one the other day, in the dry, I noticed the traction control light kept flickering to aorox 100kms. If it had LSD, is imagine it would pull even harder.

myself I prefer the before face lift look also, they are pretty reliable make sure transmission has been serviced right.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

yeah I would pick a merc e55 amg  and e39 m5 or e46 m3 over the s4 any day

the s4 is a nice car dont get me wrong, if you do get one get the full leather with the RNS-E

Took an e46 M3 out today, great for the track but thats it, smooth gear changes require a certain technique, great feel though, C63 is much better for everyday.

E55 are great....

Depends what you want they are all different and serve different purposes.

Offline Simon P

Yes, C63's are awesome!  My mate has one. Just needs ECU re-mapping to get an extra 50 Kws.  Luxary with massive power and TORQUE!  If I had the money, I would get one!

For me and my budget, I think either an E55 W210 or C32.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

All these spanky new members promoting C63's. Is there a caryard with 10 of these in stock somewhere who knows how to do spam foreplay properly?
C'mon, do it!