Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Ok old-school gurus, what the hell is this?

It's down in my carpark at the moment - not sure if it's particularly special or whatnot, if it is I can go down and take some proper pics - it's badass tommy-gun gangsta! :cool:

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Ok old-school gurus, what the hell is this?

It's down in my carpark at the moment - not sure if it's particularly special or whatnot, if it is I can go down and take some proper pics - it's badass tommy-gun gangsta! :cool:

What ever model Merc it is, it looks pretty special! I would have it in my garage :thumbsup:

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Looks like a nicely restored Pontoon, they were 1958-69ish. Models are a 180/190 or a 220S I think.

edit. Worth about 20K now ... maybe more if well restored.
C'mon, do it!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Looks like a nicely restored Pontoon, they were 1958-69ish. Models are a 180/190 or a 220S I think.

Ok - so you wouldn't even swap it for a Murci SV spoiler.

Offline app

kinda looks like this - http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_mercedes_220se.htm

is it one of these?

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

Nah, not a pontoon (W180 model), which are smaller (in size and engine capacity/cylinders). You're right that pontoon models included the 180, 190 and 220S.  The 190SL was also based on the W180 pontoon chassis.

The car in Ash's pic is a 3.0 litre 6 cyl W186 (models included the two door 300S, and the four door 300, 300c and 300d), which you could say was the precursor to the S-Class.  They were very expensive when new, the top of the range.  They came in four door and two door coupes and convertibles (Bing Crosby's 300S is now owned by Lindsay Fox... it's a two door convertible). 

Edit: now that I think about it, the W186 was more a precursor to the Grosser cars (the 600) rather than the S-class. These were handbuilt 'head of State' type vehicles, rather than a businessman's daily driver.  Also, the four doors are not that cheap (or not that expensive... depends how you look at it).  When I used to follow the values of these things a lot more closely, I think a reasonable four door would set you back $50,000+.  However, the two door 300S convertibles start at around $200k.  They're considered very collectible.

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

kinda looks like this - http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_mercedes_220se.htm

is it one of these?

That's a pic of a W186.  They've used the wrong pic for the W128 220SE (which was based on the pontoon chassis but was IIRC the last and most luxurious incarnation of that model).  220SE were also available as two doors (one of my favourite old Mercs from an aesthetic point of view, FWIW).

Offline allanuber

Nah, not a pontoon (W180 model), which are smaller (in size and engine capacity/cylinders). You're right that pontoon models included the 180, 190 and 220S.  The 190SL was also based on the W180 pontoon chassis.

The car in Ash's pic is a 3.0 litre 6 cyl W186 (models included the two door 300S, and the four door 300, 300c and 300d), which you could say was the precursor to the S-Class.  They were very expensive when new, the top of the range.  They came in four door and two door coupes and convertibles (Bing Crosby's 300S is now owned by Lindsay Fox... it's a two door convertible). 

Lovely. I've heard all the 'round light' ones referred to as Pontoons before ... sounds like there is more anorak detail though to the designations. How much is the W186 worth now?
C'mon, do it!

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

Lovely. I've heard all the 'round light' ones referred to as Pontoons before ... sounds like there is more anorak detail though to the designations. How much is the W186 worth now?

See my modified post above, Al.  They're a very impressive and imposing car... a four door pillarless coupe.

It's my understanding that the pontoons were specifically the W180 model (and derivatives). However, the 190SL is never referred to as a pontoon, and I have never, ever seen the W186 referred to as a pontoon. The W186s are sometimes referred to as Adenaurs (i don't think I've spelt that correctly).

FWIW, pontoons were also nicknamed 'roundies' because of their body shape. Then came the finnies (you've got one, haven't you?).

Offline allanuber

See my modified post above, Al.  They're a very impressive and imposing car... a four door pillarless coupe.

It's my understanding that the pontoons were specifically the W180 model (and derivatives). However, the 190SL is never referred to as a pontoon, and I have never, ever seen the W186 referred to as a pontoon. The W186s are sometimes referred to as Adenaurs (i don't think I've spelt that correctly).

FWIW, pontoons were also nicknamed 'roundies' because of their body shape. Then came the finnies (you've got one, haven't you?).

Yes. Have a finny, and was looking at a Pontoon'y   :)   Thus the oddity of this thread timing!
C'mon, do it!