Offline 98octane

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

Yes, they certainly are... and expensive/collectible to boot!

When I started collecting model cars at 12 years of age, the very first model I saved up for and purchased was a 1/18 scale 300S W188 convertible in black by Maisto.  As a stupid 12 year old, I even made a heritage plate for it!  300, of course! :)

I'll post a pic when I get home tonight.   

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

Here are few pics of my W188 300S, W128 220SE and W112 280SE. 

The white model is an SSKL (basically a lightweight version of the the very famous 1928 SSK Mercedes...a pre-war legend and one of my favourite pre-war cars of all time... right up there with the Bugatti Type 35 and Type 59).  The SSK was fitted with a supercharger.  Interesting factoid #4830: the engineer responsible for the SSK was Ferdinand Porsche.

Offline tdc911

The white model is an SSKL (basically a lightweight version of the the very famous 1928 SSK Mercedes...a pre-war legend and one of my favourite pre-war cars of all time... right up there with the Bugatti Type 35 and Type 59).  

Are you up for Pebble Beach this year?
My first ever 1/18 scale model was a Bburago Type 59 bought by my parents for me when I was about 7 from Lygon Street. They got my brother a 250 GTO at the same time, both on wooden plaques.

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

Are you up for Pebble Beach this year?
My first ever 1/18 scale model was a Bburago Type 59 bought by my parents for me when I was about 7 from Lygon Street. They got my brother a 250 GTO at the same time, both on wooden plaques.

Hi mate, yes, I remember the bburago 1/18s on wooden display stand... they were a fair bit more expensive than cars that came in the normal box.  I have a Type 59 bburago too, and although I was happy  that I could at least get a model, its quality has always disappointed me.... especially the wire wheels which were completely different to the real car (which has very distinctive wires). 

Every bburago model I have has had to be significantly upgraded by me because they are so bereft of detail.  I think my bburago gullwings turned out pretty good (you can see one of them in the pics above). A little bit of work was involved, from removing the headlight 'fish eye' look and filling in all the missing chrome trim, painting the hubcaps etc.  I think I wasted my childhood! :)

Re Pebble Beach, as you know, it's on my 'to do' list.  I can't make any promises (mainly due to my workload this year), but please keep me informed of your plans. :)

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Wasn't there this morning but there again tonight - so it's being driven.

This is the best pic I could get of the rear with the phone (extended out against a fairing) - they've done a great job of parking such a huge old jalopy in this spot - it appears to say 300.

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

Ash, my thought is that the rear badge should say 300d.  Either way, it's definitely a W189.  In fact, that car and numberplate ring a bell... I'm sure I've seen it at a number of Mercedes-Benz Club of Victoria Concours d'Elegance.

Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

my thought is that the rear badge should say 300d. 

No, just plain old 300. b,c & d never made it onto the badge. Nothing more was needed to denote the status of the top model.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Ha ok - it was gone again tonight, if I see it there again i'll take my canon down and get some proper shots.

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

No, just plain old 300. b,c & d never made it onto the badge. Nothing more was needed to denote the status of the top model.

Thanks, Sifi!  I'm guessing this philosophy also applied to W100s (600 Grosser)? I suppose they were all 600s (i.e. there was never a 600a or 'b' or 'c', but there were different configurations available and these were never differentiated via badging (as far as I'm aware... but happy to be corrected!).