Offline efast

I was in HongKong 2 weeks ago, and a friend who runs a high performance/modified imports business told me he has already imported 3 new GT-Rs from Japan. I was quite surprised he could get his hands on such an exclusive car, since USA and Australia can't even get it until 2009.

Later on in the conversation, he said he could get one for me if i wanted it, and i knew he was not kidding. Although I am not particularly interested in the car, I had the idea of re-sell the car to Australia, which as far as i know, the car won't be available publicly until 2009. I fairly confident that someone in Australia is willing to pay alot more than $100,000 to get the new GTR before everyone else in Australia does.

However I have never imported a car like this before, so I am not sure whether authorities will let it pass. Also the car can't get serviced locally as Nissan Australia haven't even launched it

So, despite these obstacles, will it be worth it?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
So, despite these obstacles, will it be worth it?

Unlikely.  There would be at least 50 other pro's looking at doing it also but it doesn't sound like there will be much success.  So, depends how shonky you are - you could probably do a flip-n-run and make anywhere between $5 bucks and $50k, but it would be hard to give any real satisfaction to the buyer with so many question marks - and a buyer at $150-200k is going to be somewhat more savvy than your average Skyrice driver.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Don't waste your time - Australian design rules require numerous detail changes from other countries which would cost a lot more than the possible profit margin.  Consider this - if it was a good idea, wouldn't someone be doing it already?

Offline efast

case closed

flip and run sounds fun, but $5 profit sounds a bit too little

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Importing cars these days is for personal pleasure only.  :-)
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

Fabcar racing in Perth have just imported a couple for tarmac rally use. (Yes, I know that doesn't mean they are fully road registerable and complianced :-))

http://www.fabcar.com.au/

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Fabcar racing in Perth have just imported a couple for tarmac rally use. (Yes, I know that doesn't mean they are fully road registerable and complianced :-))

http://www.fabcar.com.au/

http://www.caradvice.com.au/9763/nissan-gt-r-preview-in-perth

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nissan-R35-GTR-direct-from-japan-BE-THE-1ST-TO-OWN-IT_W0QQitemZ120218303342QQihZ002QQcategoryZ135932QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$110k

A beautiful and rare WHITE V35  GTR. Importing directly from Japan.

This is just the price to get it out of Japan. There are other additional fees once the car arrives in Australia.

THIS CAR CAN ONLY BE USED FOR RACE OR RALLY USE ONLY, CAN NOT BE REGISTERED

THIS NISSAN IS NEW

tax , duty  gst about $25000 , import fees are about $1500, shipping is about $1350

if you want to save heaps of cash this is the way to do it,

this price is what we sell to the car dealers

this car is checked personaly by a australin in japan

Offline wrxmike

• Drives: WRX STi , Landcruiser, and some Ferrari's
Definately one coming to Canberra - the car was here a couple of weeks ago, and is back in Sydney now, starting the process for full adr compliance/rego - expected to take several months, car should be ready by June. Car was purchased in Tokyo from a dealer at the launch, to get one in to Aus before Nissan does - apparenlty important as this sets the precedent for the RAWS compliance scheme. I've been told that once the first car is done, more will follow.....

The people behind this have done this sort of thing before and uunderstand what is needed, and have the resources to do it.

From all that I've read, the new GTR is an awesome car, but would I spend 170-180k to get one?  No way

M