Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Don't really have a thread for talking about plates in general - well, do now. :cool:

We heard this the other day about SA plates - [ 89 ] sold for $89k, [ 14 ] is asking $350k, [ 80 ] is asking $125-150k.

Saw [ 43 ] today on a beat up old Saab - guess that could be worth $150-200k. 

This ute with [ 81 ]

Image: SA Number Plates

[ 83 ] on a Vulva

[ 94 ] on a Benz

And then there's this madness - [ 13 ] on a Civic

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

[ 888 ] on a Benz

[ 162 ] on a Jag

[ 668 ] - neighbour of the beast :D  (parks near me :p )

[ 177 ] on an M3 (it's on an E92 M3 now I think)

[ 7777 ] on a Rolls

[ 214 ] on a 997 Turbo

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

[ MERCEDES ] on some kind of car

[ 000 ] - I don't know how they got away with this

[ 136 ] on a BMW short-bus

Offline app

What are the historic number plates really worth? Personally I think they are a pretty big scam. The fact that they auction of a few each year at the motor show, they are trying to make people believe they are rarer than they really are and get high prices for them. I saw a 4-digit number plate the other day with an asking price of $15k, I think that is ridiculous considering that 4-digit number plates range from 0000 to 9999. Do these number plates go up in value, is it worth buying them with the intention of making a profit in a few years time?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

4-digit plates only range from 1000-9999 - I'm not sure how some people managed to get leading zeroes on some of their plates.

For the most part of making a profit - we've pretty much missed the boat.  They will still likely be a decent investment, but they're no longer available at a price to make it really worthwhile.  Only 2-3 years ago you could pick up a 3-digit plate for $1200, they're now "worth" $15-50k.

Offline app

Yeah that's a mystry. But I still don't understand why there are tens of thousands of them and they go for thousands of dollars each and the population of Adelaide is just over 1,000,000. I'm not quite sure whether people who buy them really understand their value.

I think TSA have got it all worked out nicely - sell a few each year and you get many keen bidders willing to pay big bucks.

Furthermore, you can snap up a nice custom plate with as many or little letters as you like for just around $300 a year. Ie, you can pick number plates that are much nicer looking than the historic plates for a lower price.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Furthermore, you can snap up a nice custom plate with as many or little letters as you like for just around $300 a year. Ie, you can pick number plates that are much nicer looking than the historic plates for a lower price.

Heritage/numeric plates have class though, custom plates are good for a giggle or to just have something less ugly than standard plates, but when it comes down to it I'd choose a nice low numeric number.  I can't afford that though, so I got a custom plate [ WTF ] :p

Offline j15

4-digit plates only range from 1000-9999 - I'm not sure how some people managed to get leading zeroes on some of their plates.

I was nosing around the RTA once upon a time to find out what they had in way of heritage plates and what they would release. The guy i spoke to said any plate with a leading zero is actually a custom plate leading with the letter O.

The number plate equivalent of M3 badges on your 318, in other words

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Yeah - but at least in SA you can't order custom plates that are faux-numeric.

Offline app

Yeah - but at least in SA you can't order custom plates that are faux-numeric.

I've seen non historic number plates that "look" numeric. The other day I saw on an Astra what looked like [007] but it was actually [OO7] and I know this because it was on a white background in black letters - you wouldn't be allowed to get historic on a non-black background. But I have seen O instead of 0 on black number plates that look like historic plates.