Offline dkabab

wow.... 11k for [3] someones bought well.

would love to get a hold of the manufacturers plates [Ferrari] etc...

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
$10500 for Mercedes but only $1000 for Lamborghini!!! Need to find that plate!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

$10500 for Mercedes but only $1000 for Lamborghini!!! Need to find that plate!

The prices for the car brand names were crazy high (compared to the prices for good numbers) as many aren't even in the brand's logotype .  I mean what idiot would pay $10,500 in 1985 dollars for the Mercedes plate when the brand name isn't even Mercedes and the typeface isn't a MB typeface - when for a little more they could have [3] which is probably worth half a mill today - unlike [Mercedes] which is worth bugger all IMO.

Edit: [Lamborghini] ain't worth a thing unless you can use the Lambo script - and I don' t think you can.

Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

That auction was a strange auction. Some of the stuff you wondered why people paid the prices they did, and there were some (even at the time) surprising bargains.

Just noticed they had no history on plate 500 000. That featured in a 1955ish SA Motor (RAA) magazine. The person who got it was buying a new Vauxhall Cresta, and kept changing the delivery date so they could secure plate 500 000 when it was issued.

Offline dkabab

Edit: [Lamborghini] ain't worth a thing unless you can use the Lambo script - and I don' t think you can.

can you imagine how often you would get pulled over for those plates. i didnt even know they existed, i would assume most police would think they were fake.

Offline 1st

• Drives: The Historic & Heritage Numberplate market. Historic & Heritage plate dealers & auctioneers.
  • www: HistoricPlates.com.au

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam

Offline CortinaD

The prices for the car brand names were crazy high (compared to the prices for good numbers) as many aren't even in the brand's logotype .  I mean what idiot would pay $10,500 in 1985 dollars for the Mercedes plate when the brand name isn't even Mercedes and the typeface isn't a MB typeface - when for a little more they could have [3] which is probably worth half a mill today - unlike [Mercedes] which is worth bugger all IMO.

My guess is the people got the name series not realizing the govt would release custom plates a few years later.

I think someone said they are still up for the yearly fees too, it would be a joke if the owner of that plate etc has to still continue to pay $200 a year.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
...I mean what idiot would pay $10,500 in 1985 dollars for the Mercedes plate ...

I usually see him once or twice a week - can ask! :p

umm question?

Yeah - colour me intrigued...