red meat is good for the body

+1

I would die without meet!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Did you photoshop elongate my head, or have I developed a tall, intelligent forehead like my avatar, or am I going M308? :confused:

mmmmm carbs!

Image: Meat is bad / good for you...?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Day Four - Men's Club - our once a month meeting of blokes.

Went to Jolly Miller's, some quaint backyard old-school pub joint in Hindmarsh just out of Adelaide, I could almost see previous patrons broken teeth lying on the matted carpet.

The menu was pretty dismal at a glance - mostly cheap pub-fare - only two steaks available were the t-bone and rump, both 300gm.

300 is a nice size for a fillet, and almost acceptable for a scotch, but for a t-bone it means you're getting something about a bee's dick thick, and for rump - well, who cares, they mostly suck anyhoo.

But hey I've committed to a steak a day, so I chose the rump because I figgered it would be the thicker of the two - at $18 it costs about the same as some of the drinks I buy so no biggie - and went all out for the surf sauce option, ie - cream curry prawns.

Verdict? Pretty fucking good to be honest.

Appearance was way more than 300g, more like 400g - it was a decent hearty chunk of meat. Meat tasted good quality on it's own merit, it was cooked pretty much as requested (bleu, which I'm sure they rarely hear), it was tender, and had all the good fat bits on it. Also, the prawns and sauce which I originally added in order to hide the blandness of the steak weren't necessary, but were actually really nice and only slightly enhanced the overall taste and experience.

For a lunchtime splurge or dinner cheapo option, this fits the bill very nicely.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Day five of Steak Month - went to A Hereford Beefstouw yesterday, been there a few times, always great quality for me (some folk have had mixed results) but about double the price of most other steakhouses.

Got the chateaubriand, a really succulent melt-in-the-mouth piece of meat, however it's very lean so requires oil/butter to really make it pop. I think it's like $70-80 bucks (she paid so I didn't see the price) for a 500g slab to share - they bring it out and like your mum sit there and cut it to pieces for you.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Day six - Boho bar in Unley, 250g scotch fillet with creamy mushroom sauce, $27 bucks.

Nothing special but not bad for a pub steak, and they actually managed to not overcook it which is surprising.

Offline dkabab

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

For those fat-phobes who just don't trust the shit I say and science I post, here's MDA's latest post saying almost exactly all the same stuff we've covered in this thread:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/high-fat-diet-healthy-safe/

Eat fat, bitches. :cool:

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
What oil do you cook with Ash?

I love his spiel on non spam forum names.
Imagine youre George Clooney. Take a moment to admire your grooming and wit. Okay, now imagine someone walks up to you and asks, Whats your name? You say, Im George Clooney. Or maybe you say, Im the Clooninator! You dont say Im George of George Clooney Sells Movies Blog and you certainly dont say, Im Clooney Weight Loss Plan. So while spam is technically meat, it aint anywhere near Primal. Please nickname yourself something your friends would call you.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Day seven - went to The Stag on Rundle St, during the week they have half-price steaks for members.

Ordered the 350g scotch fillet - $19 at half-price, barchick asks if I want veg or salad with it - as in it sounded like which one I'd choose as the included side - so said veg. Only occurred to me once I sat down that she charged me like $28 bucks, so yeah wasted like $9 bucks on a side of veg that I didn't want more than a small taste of. :\

Anyhoo, meat was good quality, and cooked about perfectly, rather than a sauce or whatever I ordered herb butter which came in a big bucket. In the end I struggled to finish the steak because I also used ALL of the butter, so was feeling a little nauseous by the end, but all good now.

Offline Joel

Had my first proper Wagyu experience last night. Purchased from the butcher at $99 a kilo grade 6 on the marbleize scale. Tasted amazing. The misses wasn't impressed by how much it costed and refused to try it.
So I will be having this more often knowing I don't share it with her haha