Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
We have around 300 members here now, and on any given day 40-50 check in to read up and chat, but there's still several hundred to a couple thousand every day who just lurk!

If you want to talk about sports cars in Australia - this is definitely the right place!

Sometimes it can be intimidating to get involved in a new community, especially when you're not "in" with established members who know each other pretty well, but feel free to use this thread as a friendly introduction. :)

Negative comments in this thread will be deleted, this thread is simply a welcome mat to anyone who'd like to say hi.

So, if you're up to it, feel free to participate and help the community grow.

BTW - if you have any feedback about the site you can either post it in the Site Stuff section or PM me.  Enjoy!  :cool:

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

Offline Steve.

• Drives: AMG.
  • Name: Steve
I'll be the first  :thumbsup:

I'm Steve. Got my start in exotics before I was born. Dad used to be massively in to cars, he built a Bolwell Nagari convertible and had a late 70's (I think) Ferrari 308 for a while. He sold the Bolwell because it was going to kill my mother, and then he sold the Ferrari to buy a tractor for the farm. Ash Wednesday came along and destroyed the weeks old uninsured tractor, so Dad doesn't enjoy talking about his 308 experience much... if at all. He's just starting to get back in to it... he's looking at trading his three litre Q7 for the V12 diesel if it ever gets here, and he'll be buying a GT-R when they arrive... but there's an extraordinarily slim chance of him buying a proper grand tourer like the DB9 or 599. We'll see...

I'm a qualified wine judge, but I work with oil and gas and computers and stuff. Part time trader (mostly currency and oil). I drive an 06 Golf GTI, though I have a Passat R36 on the way. If I had more coin I'd go for the RS6, but I'm poor and young (I'm 23... give me time...) and cheap and I really want one but maybe later... until then, the R36 is a good compromise... quick-ish (quicker than the Golf!) and more useful and better sounding, but it's still about two seconds away from being quick enough and about 50 designers away from being awesome looking. It's a start, though :)

I've been looking at photos here for a while but only joined and started posting a short while ago.

Other than cars, my interests are fairly basic: Adventures, wine, golf, food (not a fatty),  travel, aviation, guns, technology, etc, etc, etc.

The cars I want are generally older... Miura, 250 GT, 275 GTB, 288 GTO, 57c Atlantique (yeah right!), and so on... although an LP640 and 430 Scud wouldn't go astray.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Cool story :cool:

Feel free to pipe up in the Steak Club thread and join us for dinner next week.

As for judging wine...  I went on an appreciation course a while back, they taught me about "legs" and stuff - sadly the only time I appreciate the legs of a wine is when I notice how long it sticks to the side of the toilet bowl. :?

Offline Steve.

• Drives: AMG.
  • Name: Steve
I can't do the steak night... I've done steak nights 3 times this week, and another next week can't be too good for the innards. Man needs more sustenance than even a cow can provide...

The only legs I worry about are those of the girl serving the wine to me :D

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Offline Alec S

Hi Folks, just joined up (not even had chance to load up my profile/avatar etc yet).

Came here thanks to the invite from Ash and am booking my attendance for the Tassie Run.

I came over from London about 7 years ago and have never looked back. Great lifestyle, though to give credit where it is due I would probably still be running my IT consultancy company in the UK working 12 hour days if it wasn't for the good lady.

I own an S1 Lotus Elise which I purchased very soon after getting here and have enjoyed it every day (daily driver).

I live in Melbourne and can't get over how much like my home this feels, it took less than a year!
I work in IT and suspect I am not the only one on here. Initially went through a consultancy period with HP and ended up travelling for most of that time to the US and Europe for a large piece of work. That was fun as I had the family come over (Florida etc).

I have taken the car round a few of the Aussie tracks and it's what I like doing the most rather than watching the scenery. I suspect I'll have to keep my eyes open in Tassie though.

I used to do the usual GoKarting thing in the UK and graduated to Caterhams and fell in love with the little Elise. A new Elise was part of the condition of coming over here - not that I needed any enticement ;-)

Other hobbies ? Running, Snooker and Skiing (a lot of Skiing). Love Aspen, Whistler, Vale & Lake Louise etc

Regrets, Australia is too far from anything to make going to a different country on holiday easy but then popping over to Rome in 2 hours from the UK was a bit of a high target to stick to.

Alec
"Madam, I don't usually forget a face but in your case I'll make an exception" - Groucho Marx

goober

Hi Folks, just joined up (not even had chance to load up my profile/avatar etc yet).

Came here thanks to the invite from Ash and am booking my attendance for the Tassie Run.

I came over from London about 7 years ago and have never looked back. Great lifestyle, though to give credit where it is due I would probably still be running my IT consultancy company in the UK working 12 hour days if it wasn't for the good lady.

I own an S1 Lotus Elise which I purchased very soon after getting here and have enjoyed it every day (daily driver).

I live in Melbourne and can't get over how much like my home this feels, it took less than a year!
I work in IT and suspect I am not the only one on here. Initially went through a consultancy period with HP and ended up travelling for most of that time to the US and Europe for a large piece of work. That was fun as I had the family come over (Florida etc).

I have taken the car round a few of the Aussie tracks and it's what I like doing the most rather than watching the scenery. I suspect I'll have to keep my eyes open in Tassie though.

I used to do the usual GoKarting thing in the UK and graduated to Caterhams and fell in love with the little Elise. A new Elise was part of the condition of coming over here - not that I needed any enticement ;-)

Other hobbies ? Running, Snooker and Skiing (a lot of Skiing). Love Aspen, Whistler, Vale & Lake Louise etc

Regrets, Australia is too far from anything to make going to a different country on holiday easy but then popping over to Rome in 2 hours from the UK was a bit of a high target to stick to.

Alec

welcome to the rat hole, but what would i know?

ciao

M

Offline EliseViv

Hello Lads

Fell in here at the same time as Alec!

Trying to read up on a thousand pages of history here....

Anyhow, love cars, not any particular type.

However ambition is AM V8 Vantage (or a DB9, but Im happy to slum it)..  Just love the sound.... So to get that next big contract (or is that the first big contract :-))

Split my time between here (Huon Valley) and Oxford UK, and have an S1 Elise in both places.  However of late seem to have fell for the ricer charms of a R32 Skyline... (hope that doesnt get me banned from here !?!) however I promise this is the last time Ill mention it :-)

I the process of restoring a 105 GTV, and can wait to hear the overrun cackle of my little alfa twin cam once again.

I understand being a fringe dweller on the Aussie exotics scene, but its nice chance to converse with some of the fellas living the dream!

Ciao

Brett aka Eliseviv
Love my cars :-)

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

Hello Lads

Ciao

Brett aka Eliseviv

phew!

For a moment there I thought it was a girl......

Would have to behave if it was...  :thumbsup: