Offline dkabab

If I ever had my own jet, which I doubt I ever would (no need let alone no money) I'd get a 727bj

Offline Steve355F1

• Drives: 355F1 GTS
If money was no object, it'd be a Global Express, or a G650.

But back in the real world, as a high end personal aircraft (ie. one that is turbine and single-pilot certified)

TBM 700 / 850 / 900
PC-12NG
Cessna Mustang through to CJ4 depending on requirements and money
Piper Meridian

Offline dkabab

I didn't realise some of those small jets had such a long range. Up to 18,000kms. That's huge.

That pretty much gets you from anywhere to anywhere non stop.

Offline Steve355F1

I didn't realise some of those small jets had such a long range. Up to 18,000kms. That's huge.

That pretty much gets you from anywhere to anywhere non stop.

Quite.
And that is why payload / range is more important than outright speed.
Speed means nothing if you have to keep stopping for fuel, or can only travel on your own with a bag of chips as luggage.

That's why the single turboprops are a better proposition than the very light jets in most cases.
It's only when you get to the CJ2+ class and above that the jets start to make sense.
And then you need a very large wallet to not feel the pain of the bills coming your way.

Offline hydie

The Eclipse was purchased by a business associate who is in the construction industry that has alot of mining contracts in WA - he flies almost daily.  The owner flew it back from the states over the past two weeks, going up the west coast of the US, over to Japan, then down south to its final location here in NSW. His previous aircraft was an Cirrus SR22 Turbo GTS which my boss has now purchased from him. His stable now consists of 3x Cirrus SR22's.

Two other local guys who are in the same boat somewhat as the jet owner have got Pilatus PC-12's. PC12's = single piston turbine aka much cheaper to run...

Offline Steve355F1

The Eclipse was purchased by a business associate who is in the construction industry that has alot of mining contracts in WA - he flies almost daily.  The owner flew it back from the states over the past two weeks, going up the west coast of the US, over to Japan, then down south to its final location here in NSW. His previous aircraft was an Cirrus SR22 Turbo GTS which my boss has now purchased from him. His stable now consists of 3x Cirrus SR22's.

Two other local guys who are in the same boat somewhat as the jet owner have got Pilatus PC-12's. PC12's = single piston turbine aka much cheaper to run...

I may know one of the guys who now owns a PC12. Used to own a Citation...

I'm going to be honest and say that I think choosing an Eclipse is more about willy-waving than a sensible choice of aircraft.
10-15 years ago I may have recommended an Eclipse. Especially as I was a young pilot who would have given anything to fly a jet. And therefore I would have recommended one to any wealthy person I knew.
Now that I am far more experienced I see that there are way more sensible choices around.
No disrespect intended. Anyone who can afford one of these things - good luck to you.

But if it was my money, or the money of someone I intended to remain as a friend, the Eclipse would be a long way down the list.

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG
3rd plane down in a week. Not going to tempt fate on flying home  if u need me i'll be on a beach  in euorpe (or southern holland as an promising ratio of crazy hot women to men... Just hope they arent crazy & hot)

:D :cool:

Definetly picked a good place to do business with!
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG
Oh and airport related, just a tip NEVER FLY INTO DUBRONIK!

Sail, catch a bus, drive, ride a horse juat dont fly absolute nightmare getting to and from airport this last week

Thought my arrival was an odd incident when 1km out from the airport there was a police blockade, bus stops driver is arrester police take the keys and leave us in the middle of a mountain pass with no driver for over an hour. It took longer to get from the airport to the bus staion (13km) than it did to fly from spain to croatia.

But leaving today took over an hour to do the 13km trip
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
3rd plane down in a week. Not going to tempt fate on flying home  if u need me i'll be on a beach  in euorpe (or southern holland as an promising ratio of crazy hot women to men... Just hope they arent crazy & hot)

:D :cool:

Definetly picked a good place to do business with!

At least they're splitting it between manufacturers.

Boeing (Ukraine), ATR (Taiwan), and McDonnell Douglas (Algiers).
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

I can't believe it. I actually had a good meal at an airport today.   Got a big breakfast at Melbourne airport this morning and not only was it edible, it was actually nice and I told them so!  :)