Offline blackr35

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes

Offline David B

I 'll throw my end in here;
last week bit the bullet and I am now officially on a weight loss program of my own devices;

starting weight 118.5 kg height 190 cm or old 6'2 = BMI 33 or officially obese cat 1!

As I have mentioned before I used to be in army and in selection we did no food 4 days (with no sleep 3 of em!) so I knew what I was in for to get the old body into fat burning mode.

Now into day 6,  Tennis twice a week, 30 minutes walking a day and eating no more than 1000KJ a day of either salad, or some sushi ( so I dont suck the protein from my eyes !!!).

Anyway all good now stomach is used to lower food level (thank god for mylanta!! on days 1-2!)

Weigh in tomorrow should be about 113 Kg but most of this weeks loss will be water  :grumpy:

Target weight 95 Kg which was my fit fighting weight, and I could run 5 Km with weight in 18:10 m..... those running day are gone now.

Wish me luck and I have gotten some real inspiration from the topic !!

Cheers!

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
good luck

I would suggest in just taking your time, a kg / week is a good goal and sustainable

crash diets have been proven not to work

Offline David B

good luck

I would suggest in just taking your time, a kg / week is a good goal and sustainable

crash diets have been proven not to work

yep agree, if you dont sustain it after say week two your body goes into starvation mode and many drop out and go on a binge.  After week two I will up the KJ intake so I am as you said dropping a realistic amount per week.
Thanks for your advice and support!!

Offline JPG

I 'll throw my end in here;
last week bit the bullet and I am now officially on a weight loss program of my own devices;

starting weight 118.5 kg height 190 cm or old 6'2 = BMI 33 or officially obese cat 1!

As I have mentioned before I used to be in army and in selection we did no food 4 days (with no sleep 3 of em!) so I knew what I was in for to get the old body into fat burning mode.

Now into day 6,  Tennis twice a week, 30 minutes walking a day and eating no more than 1000KJ a day of either salad, or some sushi ( so I dont suck the protein from my eyes !!!).

Anyway all good now stomach is used to lower food level (thank god for mylanta!! on days 1-2!)

Weigh in tomorrow should be about 113 Kg but most of this weeks loss will be water  :grumpy:

Target weight 95 Kg which was my fit fighting weight, and I could run 5 Km with weight in 18:10 m..... those running day are gone now.

Wish me luck and I have gotten some real inspiration from the topic !!

Cheers!

Firstly, congratulations on taking the first step, and to offer some unsolicited advice:

Brenton is completely right and crash dieting is an illogical thing to do. You're eating a ridiculously little amount at 239kcal a day. For your height and weight you'd want to eat about 2300kcal a day simply for your body to be in maintenance mode and it's widely advised to eat 500 calories under maintenance mode to lose weight.

Eating so little, your brain will respond to such a little amount of food by decreasing the calories your body burns. On top of that, you're also going to feel weaker and more tired, as well as losing muscle mass. Not as good as you think.

I started at a similar height+weight (6'1, 115kg, eventually down to 80kg) and at the lowest, I was consuming 1500kcal a day, so I'd advise that as a refined target personally.

The most important things I found for losing weight were to firstly eat lots of protein and fiber - these things keep you feeling fuller for longer, basically tricking the body into eating less. Secondly would be to pick up some kind of resistance training, some kind of yoga and pilates are good, lifting weights is probably best. As well as being a calorie burner, these kinds of exercises have been shown to boost your BMR (basal metabolism rate), which is the rate your body burns calories at whilst resting. More calories burnt for about 36 hours after a good workout for nothing, good deal.

Good luck and be responsible, it's not a race.

Offline David B

Firstly, congratulations on taking the first step, and to offer some unsolicited advice:

Brenton is completely right and crash dieting is an illogical thing to do. You're eating a ridiculously little amount at 239kcal a day. For your height and weight you'd want to eat about 2300kcal a day simply for your body to be in maintenance mode and it's widely advised to eat 500 calories under maintenance mode to lose weight.

Eating so little, your brain will respond to such a little amount of food by decreasing the calories your body burns. On top of that, you're also going to feel weaker and more tired, as well as losing muscle mass. Not as good as you think.

I started at a similar height+weight (6'1, 115kg, eventually down to 80kg) and at the lowest, I was consuming 1500kcal a day, so I'd advise that as a refined target personally.

The most important things I found for losing weight were to firstly eat lots of protein and fiber - these things keep you feeling fuller for longer, basically tricking the body into eating less. Secondly would be to pick up some kind of resistance training, some kind of yoga and pilates are good, lifting weights is probably best. As well as being a calorie burner, these kinds of exercises have been shown to boost your BMR (basal metabolism rate), which is the rate your body burns calories at whilst resting. More calories burnt for about 36 hours after a good workout for nothing, good deal.

Good luck and be responsible, it's not a race.

Hey great sage advice and I appreciate the factual numbers you have provided,  I actually feel fine, and I was going to up the KJ in 7 days.....

But I have listened to what you have said and I will now as of tomorrow up Kj to 1500 as you have recommended.

thanks !!!