Offline NBTBRV8

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/1607/porsche-datalogger-dobs-honda-in/

What is worrying about this story is the fact that they are downloading data out of the ECU and then analysing it during servicing and recalls.  To the best of my knowledge car ownership isn’t licenced, so it begs the question whose data is it for Porsche to take it?  If it is Porsche’s data, where does it say in the manual or purchase contract that they have the right to acquire it without permission?

I can understand it for investigate purposes for a disputed warranty claim, but even then shouldn't they be seeking the owner's permission?

Offline Moneybags

From what I understand, BMW does the same thing.

I recall a tech telling me that some cars actually communicate with the dealer and send messages even when they aren't on the dealership premises.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
From what I understand, BMW does the same thing.

I recall a tech telling me that some cars actually communicate with the dealer and send messages even when they aren't on the dealership premises.

Tesla gets all sorts of data from each of their cars over wifi all the time. In fact all sorts of data is recorded on all modern cars ECU's and is available for the taking. The Police use it in serious vehicle crashes already.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Porsche left a message for the NSX developers.

A note to any automakers   benchmarking cars built by Porsche: They will find you, and they'll   probably leave you goofy messages hidden somewhere in the car. That's   what happened when the 911 GT3 Acura was using to help develop the NSX's steering went back to the dealer for a recall service.
As   many automakers do, Acura bought its 911 GT3 anonymously, but Porsche   was able to figure out who it belonged to when it looked at the car's   black-box data, according to Automotive News. It was at this point that Porsche decided to have a little bit of fun with its counterparts at Acura.
"Good   luck Honda from Porsche. See you on the other side," read a note left   under the 911 GT3's engine cover, according to the NSX's dynamics   project leader Nick Robinson. The NSX team also benchmarked a McLaren   12C, and although McLaren never figured out that Acura owned the   particular car, the dealer in charge of servicing raised an eyebrow.
"[The McLaren dealer] wanted to know, where did you go 205 mph? What track," said Robinson.
One   has to wonder, though, how Porsche was so certain that the 911 GT3 in   question belonged to the Acura NSX development team. It would be quite   awkward if Porsche left that sort of note on a random customer's car.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a30121/porsche-911-gt3-acura-nsx/