Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
I think Porsche caters too much for the hat-wearing German grandpas rather than driving enthusiasts with the Turbo. I think they feel you ought to buy the GT2 if you don't fit that mould.

I always thought the later turbo's were Porsches Autobahn performance car, releaxed high speed cruiser. They wouldnt need GT2's and 3's if the turbo was their race car.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
oh, if you liked that you might like this. At least the Lotus was tracking through the field in the dry. Try it with slicks in the WET. ;)
http://www.vimeo.com/16113179

Fantastic stuff Neil.  Did you make contact at all?  Looked close a few times, but can't tell.  Maybe an Exige wearing one of your door mirrors after that? 

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

He's really sawing at that wheel in the Turbo-S.

And I'm suprised by the oversteer for e.g. at 1.33 and 2.14 on the vid. Although, he's going into those corners quite hot.

Gotta wonder if the Porker is suited to such a bumpy track.  It looks like a hand full.

Offline Excalibur Racing

• Drives: 997 GT3 Cup, Radical SR8 RX
I always thought the later turbo's were Porsches Autobahn performance car, releaxed high speed cruiser. They wouldnt need GT2's and 3's if the turbo was their race car.
yes you are spot on. The Turbo is designed for the high speed cruising of highways. It is quite heavy and not fantastic when thrown around. That said, I've had both a 996 and 997 Turbo and love them but not without extensive mods to correct the handling and looks. The ECU flash, air box and exhaust is an easy extra 140hp.

Offline Excalibur Racing

Fantastic stuff Neil.  Did you make contact at all?  Looked close a few times, but can't tell.  Maybe an Exige wearing one of your door mirrors after that?
thanks...no contact, remarkably.
That race was abandoned as was dangerous...everyone was on slicks. Take a look at the restart below in the wet...even more hairy especially when the Lotus spins at T2. I almost ran up my stablemate in the GT40!
Excuse the average camera. I just had a very nice looking Smarty Cam put in for Bathurst the other day with logging on screen.
And sorry, I shouldn't be highjacking the thread.
http://www.vimeo.com/16135033

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

I almost ran up my stablemate in the GT40!

Ian would have loved you for that.

It's scary how many out there have no idea about the wet racing line around there.  Must have just been an ice skating ring for most of them.   :scared:

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I have a 2008 Turbo and it felt like driving an armchair when I took delivery. It had almost no camber and relatively soft suspension (even with the boost) as you can see from the dogfight vid.
First thing I did was replace the suspension with Bilstein PSS10 and added just under a degree of extra camber all round  (better handling and significantly reduces the understeer) along with appropriate toe-in. It now handles 50% better.

I think Porsche caters too much for the hat-wearing German grandpas rather than driving enthusiasts with the Turbo. I think they feel you ought to buy the GT2 if you don't fit that mould.

The series 2 Turbo is a good deal firmer in the suspension than the series 1 car.  It's got a harder ride than the 458 in default mode for both.  But softness is a relative thing I guess...

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

I have a 2008 Turbo and it felt like driving an armchair when I took delivery. It had almost no camber and relatively soft suspension (even with the boost) as you can see from the dogfight vid.
First thing I did was replace the suspension with Bilstein PSS10 and added just under a degree of extra camber all round  (better handling and significantly reduces the understeer) along with appropriate toe-in. It now handles 50% better.

Did you go with the APR tuning?

Offline Excalibur Racing

Did you go with the APR tuning?
Softronic. It is an excellent program for the Turbo and squeezes an extra 0.4 bar or so from the turbos. I used Vivid's in the US. Just pull your ECU out and send off to the US.
The only problem is the standard clutch isn't rated for the big torque gain. Mine started slipping in 4th and higher so I imported a stronger Sachs clutch.
Once you start these things you find lots of other dependencies that are affected.