Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
Is the 1:18 version stickered up yet?

Would be interested to see the end result.

not yet, still admiring it in raw mode
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

As always I was trolling through Natsoft at the weekend.  Noticed Goobs was running at the state round at Mallala.  He had a good weekend.  Raced well and had a bit of fun and competition with a Porker.  Anyways he sent me the links to his races and I'm sure there are many here like me that like to watch.  I'll post the link below, you'll be able to click on all the other races once on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08nW9TV5Y4I&list=UU5YF_pMkUPqrzf461NbQ8QA

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

• Drives: Honda NSX
Haha Goobs car is worth more than the whole field together...twice

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
That thing has fantastic traction control. Absolutely amazing...love the technology.
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver

Been off for a while but herein are the issues with buying used race cars:

It completed the state rounds and title was won…thats the good side, after 9-10 laps at Mallala especially on the cool down lap it would lose gears.
First time it happened it was suspected it was the battery….great, change battery……problem fixed, no
Change alternator as volts were showing 12 volts at idle, not enough to keep the electrics happy, should be 13.5 plus…..fixed the problem…..no
Change the F1 motor…..as its not priming between 43 to 55 bar…..fixed problem, no
Change the F1 pump……thinking its not pumping fluid around, fluid was filthy as best….fixed problem…no
Change the actuator or QPV valve……..awaiting to try this weekend, it runs better on the hoist, goes through gears properly, if we get over 9-10 laps without a malfunction its a victory.

The problem is that with all the experts saying the F1 is complex….well its not. The principle is so simple. The parts are the next issue. The F1 pump on a 360 is as per a Alfa selespeed, the whole unit is the same. Cross referencing and Alfa/ Lancia/ Lamborghini Gallardo/ Maserati/ Audi and Ferrari all use the same item. The 430 was enhanced with a bigger electric motor, the pump stayed the same. Magnetti Marelli realised the motor/s would fry hence the bigger motor and its a Nippondenso motor as well. The F1 pump is indestructible and unless grit gets into it, it won't fail. The accumulator is the same throughout all makes.
The actual body with all the actuators/ solenoids/ QPV/ PPV valves are the same part number from 360 (all models) 430 (all models) 575 (all variants), 612. The 599 has a different part number however it is the same variant.
Now ferrari in their wisdom won't sell individual solenoids/ actuators/ QPV/ PPV valves, they will sell the whole unit for 7k USD. Maserati will sell individual actuators for $600 USD each. I was able in a hurry to buy a complete unit from a 575M locally for $1650.00. I still have new actuators coming from Ricambi Maserati.

A good bloke who owns an engineering firm in Texas sold me a F1 pump purger/ tester for $350.00. This unit will test the amperage of the F1 motor and also purge fluid through to eliminate air bubbles. An SD3/ SDX isn't required and its use is to remove error codes but I'm not paying 20K USD for one. The F1 tester can be used on all models as listed above and include Lambo/ Audi etc.

Hopefully this sorts the issue out as the clutch line from the actuator sounded and felt like it was on drugs at the track. The replaced actuator is more crisp and sharp.

The moral of this tale is that when one buys a race car….learn how items operate, learn how to fix them in situ and don't rely on computers/ diagnostics to solve all problems. When we were at Mallala 3 weeks ago Mario L put his SDX on the car when we were experiencing what we thought was a F1 motor problem and the diagnostics said we have a gear selection problem….like derr, we know that, we just need to know what the exact problem is. Trial and error and as per the 360ch, it took 2 odd years to solve all the issues out on it, this hopefully will be a little less.
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Been off for a while but herein are the issues with buying used race cars:

It completed the state rounds and title was won…thats the good side, after 9-10 laps at Mallala especially on the cool down lap it would lose gears.
First time it happened it was suspected it was the battery….great, change battery……problem fixed, no
Change alternator as volts were showing 12 volts at idle, not enough to keep the electrics happy, should be 13.5 plus…..fixed the problem…..no
Change the F1 motor…..as its not priming between 43 to 55 bar…..fixed problem, no
Change the F1 pump……thinking its not pumping fluid around, fluid was filthy as best….fixed problem…no
Change the actuator or QPV valve……..awaiting to try this weekend, it runs better on the hoist, goes through gears properly, if we get over 9-10 laps without a malfunction its a victory.

The problem is that with all the experts saying the F1 is complex….well its not. The principle is so simple. The parts are the next issue. The F1 pump on a 360 is as per a Alfa selespeed, the whole unit is the same. Cross referencing and Alfa/ Lancia/ Lamborghini Gallardo/ Maserati/ Audi and Ferrari all use the same item. The 430 was enhanced with a bigger electric motor, the pump stayed the same. Magnetti Marelli realised the motor/s would fry hence the bigger motor and its a Nippondenso motor as well. The F1 pump is indestructible and unless grit gets into it, it won't fail. The accumulator is the same throughout all makes.
The actual body with all the actuators/ solenoids/ QPV/ PPV valves are the same part number from 360 (all models) 430 (all models) 575 (all variants), 612. The 599 has a different part number however it is the same variant.
Now ferrari in their wisdom won't sell individual solenoids/ actuators/ QPV/ PPV valves, they will sell the whole unit for 7k USD. Maserati will sell individual actuators for $600 USD each. I was able in a hurry to buy a complete unit from a 575M locally for $1650.00. I still have new actuators coming from Ricambi Maserati.

A good bloke who owns an engineering firm in Texas sold me a F1 pump purger/ tester for $350.00. This unit will test the amperage of the F1 motor and also purge fluid through to eliminate air bubbles. An SD3/ SDX isn't required and its use is to remove error codes but I'm not paying 20K USD for one. The F1 tester can be used on all models as listed above and include Lambo/ Audi etc.

Hopefully this sorts the issue out as the clutch line from the actuator sounded and felt like it was on drugs at the track. The replaced actuator is more crisp and sharp.

The moral of this tale is that when one buys a race car….learn how items operate, learn how to fix them in situ and don't rely on computers/ diagnostics to solve all problems. When we were at Mallala 3 weeks ago Mario L put his SDX on the car when we were experiencing what we thought was a F1 motor problem and the diagnostics said we have a gear selection problem….like derr, we know that, we just need to know what the exact problem is. Trial and error and as per the 360ch, it took 2 odd years to solve all the issues out on it, this hopefully will be a little less.
BG you should bring it up to QLD and do the Italian Challenge series about 5 rounds either lakeside or QR.

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver

Good post :thumbsup:

Big question is are you enjoying the thing?

Yes, it is a lovely car, once new rotors were fitted with new pads it stops.
I don't quite understand the whole package however we are educating ourselves. The car has its foibles and it has to last 1 hour and 1 minute at Clipsal. When the 360CH suffered gear loss at Clipsal in 2012 all the experts said it was heat related, heat is the issue when the F1 motor gets hot, to change the F1 motor is 2 screws and about 20 minutes. No bleeding is required.
 All the road cars with the magneti marelli F1 system the motor should be changed every 2 years, its about $350 odd USD and is something that if I had a road going F1 car I would carry a spare. As these are all getting older problems are occurring and understanding the system makes it easier to repair without going to a dealer and getting ripped off.
My previous post was incorrect in the the makes of vehicles that use the same system:
360 Modena
360 Spider
360 Challenge
360 Challenge Stradale
430 Spider
430 Challenge
430GT3
Scuderia/16M is the same and is cheaper than the 360/575 units
575M
4200 Maserati
QP (shitbox) Maserati
DB9 Aston Martin
Anything Alfa
Fiat Punto
Lancia (shitboxes)
Ferrari Enzo (same part number as 360's)
Audi (shitboxes)

Photo is of the actuator, it is just a solenoid that goes in and out, the technology is basic compared to a dual clutch transmission today and like anything Ferrari make, it was designed by a rocket scientist and put together on a production line by someone who couldn't read or write….hence us dumbo's over here can fix it. Don't be fooled by mechanics or the dealers on the complexities of these units.